• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Diesel or petrol?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by masoven4u, Aug 2, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

im hearing 2 diff things when it comes to choosing a diesel car, some are saying dont get one unless your doing 17k miles plus a year. And others are saying it doesnt matter? I only really do short journeys and the odd long one. So petrol 1.6 golf or a 1.9tdi?

2. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

Would go with the petrol if i was you whilst you are doing shorter journeys, save some coin if diesel needs repairs aswell as they tend to cost more.

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

Diesels are cheaper to run, petrols are cheaper to service.

Weight up the pros and cons and go for it. I'd personally go for a petrol as if you take the total cost of service+fuel then there isnt much in it but obviously the lump sum which you'd have to pay for servicing is less.

4. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

vw engines are solid, especially the 1.9 tdi and pritty damn good on fuel, that would be my choice

5. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

I tested both Diesel and Petrol versions of my car and went with the Diesel. 10 extra mpg and feels alot more powerful with a turbo kicking in at lower rev range.
      I hear a lot of people these days saying diesel even for town driving due to the quick low rev acceleration. The occasional long run will work out well for your DPF too on the Diesel.

6. tausch

tausch Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

As an engineer who works in the petro chemical, nuclear and pharma industry i can categorically say diesel...why?

The main reason is relaiability and cost of maintenance versus petrol...

All power stations electricity supplies are backed up by large kv 12 or kv16 diesel generators, size of ship engines....that says something...all fff systems, fixed fire fighting systems are diesel driven, that should tell you something too.

Nowhere do we find petrol driven engines, except the guys who have flash company cars and want the mileage allowance.

Diesel every time mate.

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

I'd go for the diesel also.

8. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

DPF'S are a b4stard. Cost of changing one is over a grand.

Like I said,has to weight up the pros and cons of how he'd like to spend his money.

An extra £1 everytime he fills up a extra £100 when he services it,depending on what it needs.

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

there was a recent article saying if buying new the difference cost wise is in favour of petrol.
      if you are buying used and getting a good price i would buy diesel too.
      i have a mondeo titanium x and on the motor way get well over 60mpg. i average about 40-50 mpg every tank.
      i also do high mileage and im an ex mechanic, so ive been around cars for 25 plus years.
      ive seen diesel cars develop from ****e to very powerrful fast machines.

10. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Diesel or petrol?

DPF, now that's an issue....getting one replaced is costly, however it isn't part of the mot that you have a dpf fitted, get the dpf removed and engine remapped and then no issue.

( dpf is diesel particulate filter) which may bring a light up on the dash....this can be gotr rid of by replacing the dpf with a straight tube,and the system reprogramming...less than a dpf!

diesel cars have come a long way, and are fast mean machines now. so dont be scared.

Tags: