• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Crunched

Discussion in 'Sporting Injuries/Side Effects' started by lalucien, Mar 28, 2013.

1. lalucien

lalucien Active Member

I recently decided that I would use the thigh crunch machine at the gym. I'm a guy and only ever see girls on that machine but, I don't think it's only for women and I like to get a whole body workout. Wow! What a machine! My inner thighs were hurting so bad I couldn't walk for two days without squinting and limping...
      Now I'm hooked. It feels so good when I jump on that machine and feel the crunch in my thighs. Guys, you've got to get in this machine, it feels great!

2. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

I don't know what you are referring to. I've been to numerous gyms, both commercial and private gyms and I've never seen a 'thigh crunch machine'.

I'm not a fan of machines, squats and lunges are better than any leg machine.

3. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_Jo Member

This. Not a fan of machines myself, I stick to weights, as should everyone. Machines are really awkward. You see mostly women on them because they don't know much about exercise, and it's easy for them to just.

4. musclemad

Indeed, machines are awkward because they give you a false sense of security and certain machines put your body in unnatural positions. My brother injured his back on a machine and he will have to manage that injury for the rest of his life.

5. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_Jo Member

Well, it's a bit unfair to say that you can only get injured on a machine, when you can get injured just as easily while lifting weights. People underestimate the complexity of proper exercise. Form is one of the most important things, when you're attempting to do something.

6. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

Yeah I have to agree keeping with free weights as much as possible will result in better results in shorter periods as long as your are careful.

On the other hand if you find something that keeps you going to the gym more power to you.

7. musclemad

I didn't even claim you can only get injured on a machine but I do think machines are more injurious than free weight exercises (with proper form) because machines do place your body in unnatural positions. For example, the popular leg raise machine places undue stress on the knee, it is a recipe for disaster in the long term. Functional movements like lunges or squats will strengthen the knee joint, not weaken it like the leg raise.

8. fourmatic

fourmatic Member

I agree 100%. I love the fact that if I'm doing dumbbell flys, for example, I can just drop the weight for any reason especially if something doesn't feel right. Plus with free weights you are working all the stabilizer muscles too, which you can't beat/match with a machine.

9. musclemad

Exactly, the stabilizer muscles need to be strengthened for healthy joints and you will not be engaging your stabilizer muscles on most machines, the machine is the stabilizer. I haven't used a machine for years, they are not needed in my training.