• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • contest prep question

Discussion in 'Female Bodybuilding' started by Canellesao, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

contest prep question

Yeah, the company that did it at my last comp did a base stain the night before followed by spray the day of the comp. I only got the spray done and I wish I would have done the base as well.

2. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

contest prep question

I've done all of it - my problem is usually I don't have someone to help me get the layers on if I do it myself. If you're going to do it yourself or have someone help you - Protan is generally the most reliable. It does also tend to dry the hell out of your skin. I've also had good luck w/ LiquidSunRayz (a friend did the color w/ a little foam roller brush). I've never used Jan Tana on my own. However they've done BEAUTIFUL work at my last show. For me, it was the convenience of getting it all done the night before and not needing 6-7 layers that I didn't have time for. The whole thing took about 30 min - that included base layer, some more layers and some time under their big fans to dry to mostly dry/ tacky. Then I went back to the hotel room to let the rest of it dry. Then, in the morning, they had tents set up outside the venue (a theater on the local college campus) where they did the touch up. I've gotten to know a number of the Jan Tana folks from my various shows and they do a stellar job. I was absolutely dark enough and the coverage was even, and the efficiency of the work was worth the cost.

For a local show, you don't need to stay at the hotel, but invariably the show's tanning service will be set up there - so you'd just need to find out what room they are in and go at your scheduled time. Then go home, let the layers dry. Then show up in the morning. My own experience is that they bring their booths and everything to do all the touch ups at the venue, instead of doing crazy early morning work at the hotel room.

If you do it yourself, note that you're not "spraying it on", generally anyway. The services or if you have one yourself, use a compressor to spray it on like air brushing. (And note that an air brush service at your favorite local spa or tanning salon is NOT going to be sufficient.) If you are doing it yourself, I usually recommend, at least w/ ProTan - our the bottle into a plastic tupperware, and get a decent natural sponge to do the application. The sponge brush they give you is ok, but a natural sponge just goes faster. Prep your skin w/ an anti-bacterial soap & loofah scrub down in the shower. The first layer just needs to be thick and cover everything. Let that dry, slop up any drippy areas. After its dry (e.g. the next morning) take a shower. A lot of the first layer will come off, but you'll have your base. Then another layer. Let it dry, take a shower, repeat. I've done this up to 6-7 times over 2-3 days to get dark enough. Then the last layer is the one you go on stage with (ie. no more showers). YOu should be dark & evenly covered.

Start by finding out if your show has any services and what they cost. Find out who is offering it - if its not Jan Tana, LiquidSunRays or Protan doing it (ie. its some local company) then find out what they use and ask what they will do - say if you decide the work isnt' dark enough, Can you get the layers until you are comfortable w/ the color? Do they do touch ups? Will they be at the venue the day of the show & what touch ups will they do there & when? (i.e. are they available for you if you need them? Do you need to get an appt, etc?)

Another thing I do is have a foundation that matches whatever product I'm using. There's a MAC foundation (NC45 or NW45 ..always get them confused - but its the darker of the two) that matches Protan. And Jan Tana has a foundation makeup that you can buy. They both run $15-18 but will last you forever. I use them on my face and get the spray or roll-on tan done up to my chin line. I"ve had Protan dry on my face & start cracking or showing sweat streaks after I get on stage. The foundation comes off easier and allows easier touch up, at least IMO.

3. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

contest prep question

My plan is to tan in beds for a few weeks to get a good base and clear up my skin(I always tan a lil to help my skin) and then do the spray or roll on...glad to hear there is a foundation to match, that is much better imo