• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • breakfast shake?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by vijugati8g, Apr 30, 2012.

1. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

whats the overall thoughts on breakfast shakes? healthy? unhealthy? indifferent?

my overall goal is fat loss and was wondering if shakes may be a good substitute in the morning...what i noticed today was, the shake had a bit of calories, however...it was a simple blueberry/banana shake:

1 cup of nonfat milk
      ~5 ounces of nonfat unflavored yogurt
      1/4 cup of ice
      1 medium banana
      ~15-20 blueberries

This totals around 320 calories...isnt that a bit much?...i havent even included any protein powders or anything...just curious to know if this is "ok" regularly....the rest of my meals across the day arent too bad:

lunch - half a turkey sub on wheat bread, with swiss cheese, only mustard, spinach, tomatoes, yellow pepper, onions, jalapenos, & black peppers

snack between lunch and dinner - f-a-g-e (added the dashes since its being "***" out lol) 2% yogurt with strawberry (i normally just use about 1/2 the strawberry paste it includes)

snack if i go to the gym late would be a handful of almonds, unsalted, roasted

if i go to the gym right after work, i normally have 1 packet of starkist chunk light tuna in water over lettuce, with a couple teaspoons of olive oil, squeeze lemon juice, black pepper...after the work out...

later snack would normally be a banana or so...

just wondering if this is a good plan or not...normally for breakfast i would eat about 3 egg whites with some pepper, or a bowl of cheerios, or a bowl of oatmeal...

2. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

Shakes are fine. Have you figured out your calorie and macro goals?

3. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

A shake is fine as long as it doesnt cause you to go over your targeted cals/macros, provides you satiety, energy, make you feel all warm/fuzzy inside, etc..

As far as your overall diet, need to state total cals/macros, current stats, and maintenance.

4. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

no :/ ...and thats a failure on my part...i never really have done that...i just end up working out every so often when i feel i have gained some weight (ie: shirts start fitting snug, etc)...hence, getting back into it...

when i do this, and gauge it, im normally around 1200-1500 calories per day...this is just speculation as i dont actually figure out exact numbers...

5. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

6. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

thanks for the quick reply guys...will read the links you sent...im sure i may have some questions here and there, though...

7. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

Post them when you do! Good luck!

8. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

That sounds really low. Follow the links that WonderPug provided ^^^^ You have to get started somewhere.

9. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

btw, just to note, im not a body builder nor do i strive to be one...ive been slowly incorporating working out as a regular routine, rather than a chore to me...

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

breakfast shake?

Whether your goal is body composition or overall health it's best to do research and devise a plan specific to your needs. Good luck and be open to critiques.