• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • So confused and frustrated on calorie needs!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by defelqy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

So I read the sticky on calculating calories. I am 5'10" 260 lbs(yeah I'm big but that's why I'm here right?) and it says I need 3627 calories for maintenance. I work out 5 days a week and try to limit my carb intake. To lose 2 pounds a week I would need to eat 2627 calories? I hope I'm calculating this right. If it is right, I am having a really hard time getting close to that. I try and hit 2000 calories and I feel like I'm stuffing myself. I am able to hit my protein requirements no problem(180g). And on top of that I have been stuck at 260 for months. I just need some help. Am I calculating my calories right? If I am, how do I hit my calories? Thanks everyone.

2. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

So confused and frustrated on calorie needs!

Whats your age? I was just checking the formula but need your age.

Edit: I calculated ~3258 calories using (Mifflin-St Jeor) a activity level of 1.5 (3-5 days workouts) ... guessing ur age is 20-25yrs. If so then less 20% for cutting = 2606 calories.

Your calorie intake does look alright. What are your other macros like? are you getting enough fats in? (1g fat = 9 calories)

Eating fats don't make you fat.

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Last edited by Deutscher32; Today at 09:09 PM.

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Calculators are a good base. Basically trial and error will tell you what your real maintenance is. If you are not seeing any weight loss lower your calories. Work with your calories till you find what works.
      Why limit carbs? I hope you don't think carbs make you fat.

5. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

What I meant is that your should try to eat close to 20% less from ur maintenance & if your feeling like your stuffing yourself I mentioned the Fats because they are higher in calories and not really filling.

you might be overtraining your body or your calorie deficit is >1000 calories might have something to do with a plateau.

6. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

I am 24. And I can look back at my logs but I don't really pay attention to my fat intake. And to Tom's question, I try to avoid carbs because from research, all I hear is that reducing carbs helps with fat loss. Once I start losing weight, I plan on integrating them into my diet. But maybe I'm wrong. I just know my work outs are intense but I need to get my nutrition right to see results.

7. defelqy

There's a lot of BS out there. Carbs can go to fat but this will only happen if you consume massive amounts of carbs, way more than a average person. As long as your calories are below your maintenance you will be fine eating carbs.

8. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought about overtraining and too few calories. But like I said, I feel like I'm stuffing myself. But I will try to integrate more fats and maybe cut down my weight training from 4 to 3 days.

9. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Yeah I try to stay under 100g of carbs. Maybe I should integrate more into my diet so that I can actually hit my calorie needs

10. defelqy

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of calorie count calculators, because they often don't take into effect natural differences among people.

But I agree with what Deutscher32 said about overtraining. If you do initially drop calories too low, you might be overtraining. If the body goes into a starvation response due to too low calories, fat loss is minimized, because your body wants to hold on to fat if it perceives starvation.

Also, carbs are a necessary nutrient. Don't worry about too many carbs at the moment; you need them to fuel your workouts and muscle recovery.