• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Protein Shakes on a Cut...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by jailynn24hb, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Hey guys

So i noticed today each of my ON Whey shakes are 220cals (2 scoops) i have these twice on weight days (3 days a week) and none on cardio days. So per week that 1320 cals on protein shakes. On a cut.

This is my first attempt at fitness, I have done from zero and 12 stone at 5ft8 to easily running over 5k 3 times a week and 10stone 12 currently. However noticing the amount of calories per day on these shakes (440) its the same as a whole meal for me at the moment.

On weight days I have reached my noob gains and cant lift any heavier on my massive deflict, I havent had a lift increase in a month. I also take creatine 5g per day.

So my question is can I limit the calories from my shakes? Is there a low cal version or something? I dont get enough protein in my diet due to cost and time (i work full time) so i need the shakes to hit my target intake on weight days.

Thanks for any info or help, my knowledge on this is made up from advice of friends so I am sure i am missing something...

Thanks !

2. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Protein Shakes on a Cut...

ON has 24g of Protien per scoop = 96 calories - 110 per serving, only 14 calories over the pure protein of the shake.... While everyone will say eat protien instead of drink I think you'd be better off eating protein and then taking a shake after a workout... just my opinion.

3. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Last edited by toddmclain02; Today at 11:43 AM. Reason: Math retard... 96 - 110 = 14....

4. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

so your saying it pretty much couldnt get any lower calories wise? and perhaps just cut down to 1 on workout days? I eat a fair bit of chicken and eggs but not enough to hit protein target, though i dont have any shakes 4/7 days of the week anyway...

5. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

110 calories is about as good as you'll get for that protein content.

It should be easy to fit 1-2 in your diet.

6. roger

roger Well-Known Member

Protein has 4 cals per gram, if a shake has say....24g you have 96 cals from protein and 14 cals from other stuff....you want to take away those 14 calories? o_O

7. jailynn24hb

Yeah, pretty much. After all, any protein has 4 calories per gram. 16 non-protein calories is pretty good, better than most solid foods in that respect.

8. jailynn24hb

Just do 1 a day. You should be able to fit 220 kcal in your diet ESP on workout days. I eat 1600 kcal/day and fit it into my cal allowance. If you need 100g protien per day from shakes, everyone is going to tell you to clean up your diet.

9. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

It is pretty easy to hit a protein goal on a diet... Just 4 oz of turkey, 8 oz of chicken breast, 2 scoops of ON whey = 144 grams of protein. Do you know what your LBM is?
      Another easy one to hit..... 1 can of Tuna, 8 oz chicken, 2 scoops ON why = 140...

Throw in your eggs on top of that and your at least around 160-180 grams of protein.

Also remember to LIFT HEAVY... No reason to take in so much protein if your not going to use it.

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

1600 cals a day lls. Up your cals and up your workouts. Plus it wouldnt be 110 cals per shake, unless your taking them with water?... Milk FTW. I would stop eating so little and just work out longer. You will have a much better physique. Just my .02