• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • need help meeting fat needs while cutting...

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Korporalegq, May 10, 2012.

1. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

hey guys/gals

i have been consuming the same cals/macs since august 1st 2011 and i totally neglected to account for my fat intake. (i have lost 115 lbs and since ive been lifting last 4/5 weeks i have seen major changes in strength and definition already) after some research ive realized ive been quite low, about a 6th of what i should be getting according to the basic calculation of lbs/.30 found in the calculating calories/macs thread.

for my cut im doing 1600 calories (im 5'10'' 195 lbs and have been lifting for like a few weeks, figure i have about 30 lbs or so of fat i need to shed).

i eat very very consistently, so referencing my calorie counter app these are the macs for my daily intake...there is suprisingly little variance day to day...

1585-1600 cals
      187-190 g's protein
      145-155 g's carbs
      9.5-10.5 g's fat

my diet is as follows, as i said very little variance

breakfast- 1/2 grapefruit & 1 serving fiber cereal or oatmeal
      snack 1- 4 egg whites
      lunch- 1 serving brown rice & 2 servings greens (green beans almost all the time low cals) & protein (either 8oz chicken sometimes fish)
      snack 2-4 egg whites
      dinner- same exact thing as lunch

after workout i have 1 serving isopure whey (210 cals-0 carbs-50 g protein)
      i also bring in 40 cals from my fish oil caps and 15 from my pre workout creatine (these are accounted for in above cals and macs)

it seems that i need to be getting at the minimum around 60 grams of fat from that calculation thread...if this is correct i need to change my diet and fast because i am falling way short of that. i feel really good about everything else, i feel full, never fatigued, get through workouts without breaking down (creatine has helped quite a bit in that regard, something new for me)

if i am right and i am this short on my fat i need tips on how to up my intake of it without blowing up my cals. any tips on how to get more fat without inflting cals and critiques in general are very very welcome and appreciated.

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

need help meeting fat needs while cutting...

You only eat 9 to 10 grams of fat per day? I almost take that much in fish oil.

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Ummm.. How much weight are you losing a week? 1600 cals seems low for a guy your size.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

i was dropping quickly, last few months ive been hitting this diet hard and lifting 3 days a week w/ cardio 3 days a week. last 5 weeks or so its dropped off, maybe b/c ive been lifting? i use an android app called calorie counter to track it, i check the macs that it inputs by comparing them to packages/online info so i feel like these numbers are accurate as far as thats concerned....anyways i dont weigh myself often (i found it to be very discouraging) so its hard to say but to say around 10-15lbs a month or so wouldnt be too far off

5. Bigsterm

Bigsterm Well-Known Member

yes, i honestly thought i was killing this diet with that amount that low until i read what i should be eating. i have a tendency to dive headfirst into stuff and i somehow overlooked this...stupid stupid stupid. i feel like all the work ive done eating low cals last 9 months and working out last 2 months could have been much more beneficial had i of studied more. at this point i dont even wanna think about that want to just adjust my diet and get past it and start really dialing in. i feel like 115 pounds in 9 months isnt like an unhealthy amount of weight to lose that fast???

6. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

More fat without increasing calories? You'll have to lower carbs or protein. I have no idea why you're consuming so few calories, though.

Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, macadamia, etc.), nut butters, olive oil, whole eggs, whole milk, cheese, fatty cuts of meat, fatty fish

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

i was desperate to drop weight and i realized it may be a trade off to overall health but i figured in long run i could overcome any negatives going so low would cause. with 3 days lifting (all pros beginner routine) and 3 days cardio (biking, according to bike it says i burn about 315-350 cals each day depending on how hard i push it) maybe i should up cals?? i could add a tbs of peanut butter and go to 1800 and get some extra fat that way?? according to calorie calc thread my maintenance is around 2650....

**edit**
      the only noticeable drawback has been massive massive loss of strength and being able to feel how much less muscle i have now than before i startyed cut...but like i said thats just noticeable

8. gabarit

gabarit Well-Known Member

Congrats on the weight loss. In my opinion, when you are that overweight, it is okay to lose a lot of weight in that time frame. Health should always be the number one concern.

9. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

thx a mill, an yeah, i was f'n huge man. was quite gross. years of lethargy and horrible horrible horrible eating habits and all night binges got me to 312. i was sooo stoked when i got under 200. fitness has become a hobby...somewhat of an obsession over last few months so i really need to get cerebral with it....thats why i discovered my fat intake was too low.

10. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

whole eggs, full fat dairy products, dips such as guacamole and cheese dip. nuts. peanut butter..and make sure to get that fish oil brah