• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • My son and his ex...legal??

Discussion in 'Over Age 35' started by remstation, Apr 19, 2012.

1. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Someone tell me if this is legal??

My son and his wife are going thru a divorce. They are separated and have been for over a month now. Here is the problem. My son’s wife’s father works where my son does. He is the sales manager. My son got a text from his ex saying he needed to give her more money this week because the kids Wii broke. My son said he didn’t have any extra money. Here is the good part. She told him that her dad had seen his check and it was very large due to the fact that he has worked over time. He even told her how much his take home was. Is this legal? Even if he is allowed to see his check he has no business telling my son's ex how much it was. Does anyone know??

2. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

My son and his ex...legal??

Doubt this is the first time this man has told people (including your daughter) what people make. It's unethical. In many companies, it's a fireable offense for even employees (peers) to discuss what they make with one another, let alone, someone who should be holding the info confidential, telling people what others make. In this case, given the situation however, this could turn into a he said/she said thing. I'm sorry your son is going through this, though.

3. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Won't be a he said she said. My son's ex sent him a text telling him that her father told her what he made. He has saved that text.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

I actually work with payroll and I would NEVER discuss anyone's pay with ANYBODY for ANY reason unless I was talking to my supervisor or other people that work in payroll. It wouldn't be a casual conversation at the water cooler either like "Can you believe X make $Y??", it would be discussing something directly related to a work issue with their pay.

This isn't to say it doesn't go on as I'm sure it goes on everywhere.

Just my .02

5. casse

casse Well-Known Member

I am sure it does go on at most places. My son is going to take this to the top if he has to so it won't happen again. Just wondering if this guy will lose his job.

6. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Most likely it is against the company code of conduct and punishment would be left up to management.

Why does he have the right to hide his take home pay from her anyway? The are still married correct? Do they have a formal agreement of any kind? During the divorce process he will have to produce the info anyway.

7. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

i know, but she doesn't know everything he spends his money on...so...
      your son should go to his boss and discuss it. or to hr. (wait, is his soon to be ex father in law, his boss?)
      if that is the case, go to hr (if your son feels comfortable doing this)

8. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

They do have a formal agreement on the amount of child support and he has been paying that until it goes before a judge. He will have to tell the courts what he makes. The thing I am getting at is that he has no right to tell anyone what he makes.

9. 32chevy

32chevy Well-Known Member

well, not really your son's problem.
      i have compassion, but when it comes to business, this guy needs to look out for the company.
      some people have no business being managers. seriously. with that title, comes discretion, and responsibility.

10. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

My son is a mechanic at a car dealership. His ex father in law in the sales manager there. I don't think he would even have the rights to see what my son makes. I am the Purchasing Manager where I work and I don't have the right to see the payroll. He went to his boss and is waiting on an answer. If he doesn't hear anything soon he will go to the next level until he gets an answer.

Tags: