• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Is this routine any good for mass building

Discussion in 'For Personal Trainers' started by alomjabpd, Apr 9, 2012.

1. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

I have been training for a long time using a combination of isolation exercises and compound exercise (much more isolation than compound) which has given me good results and great strength but have recently been given a routine from a friend (who is pretty huge) and he has recommended that I now start to concentrate on compound exercises only if I want to gain mass (which I do). What do you make of the routine shown below? All of the exercises are done on the maximum weight that still allows best form and ROM.

Day 1: Chest

Incline Barbell Press (4x10)
      Flat Dumbell Press (4x10)
      Body Weight Dips (4x12) Have to be careful of shoulders so dont go heavy on this
      Machine Flys (4x10)
      Incline Dumbell Flys (4x10)

Day 2: Legs

Squats (4x10)
      Leg Press (4x10)
      Leg Raise (4x10)
      Ham Curls (4x10)
      Quad Curls (4x10)

Day 3: REST

Day 4: Shoulders

Seated Press (4x10)
      Lateral Raise (4x10)
      Front Raise (4x10)
      Reverse Pec Deck (4x10)
      Bent Over Posterior Delt Raise (4x10)

Day 5: Back

Dead Lifts (4x10)
      Wide Grip Pulldowns (4x10)
      Close Grip Pulldowns (4x10)
      Bent Over Rows (4x10)

Day 6: REST

Day 7: REST

Would you add or remove anything from this list? I am looking for exercises that will build mass quickly. I am due to start a course in 3 weeks and want to have the new routine in place by then. I should also add that I add 10-20 mins cardio most days after weights.

2. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Is this routine any good for mass building

Last edited by rchippex; Today at 12:08 PM.

3. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Any routine will give you back what you put into it. Having said that I like the look of this routine and it is something I would happily follow. Personally I would do 5 sets with the first exercise each day and 2/3 sets of the other exercises, but that's me. Give it a good go and I'm sure you'll get some quality results.

4. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

For shoulders take out front raise and replace with push-press IMO

5. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

You mean OHP?

6. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Have been doing it for the last week or so now and I have to say I have noticed a nice pump to my chest that I just didnt seem to be getting with my previous routine (which included a lot of isolation). Same with my back. I didnt used to be able to feel the presence of my back muscles (if you get what I mean) but now I can feel them all the time. Like you say you get back what goes in and I have been going all out with it. I seem to find it easier to give it everything on each exercise rather than just above average on a wide range of exercises as I am not doing ****e loads on connected muscle groups the day before. I think with this one less is more. I might be doing less exercises but it seems to be allowing me to make the most of the ones I am doing better. I was just curious to see if there was anything missing such as abs for example.

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Push Press??

8. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Op I'd be inclined to do the compounds first and 5 x 5 with the assistance/isolation moves after at 3 x 8 or 4 x 10/12what ever your preference is. Maybe alternate incline with flat bench and chuck the cable flyes aswell? Cv is fine after for 25-30mins also if you want.
      Obviously your diet is going to dictate your results but it's a decent enough routine.
      Push press is more of a powerlifting move imo and OHP will serve you better for putting mass on your shoulders and tris.

9. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Last edited by GreedyBen; Today at 12:27 PM.

10. Bernatek

Bernatek Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. What is the advantage of doing the 5x5 over 4x10? I assume it is more conducive to gaining size? When I put seated press that is actually seated overhead press. I generally use dumbells for it but sometimes switch that for the seated machine overhead press if I want to go heavier without a spotter.

I take it that the idea behind doing the compounds first is to enable me to go full out on them for maximum effect?