• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • How Many of You...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by suighja, Apr 22, 2012.

1. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

had someone to show you the way when you started training?

I think the main reason there are so many guys in the gym with bad form or curl monkeys is because they've probably never had someone to show them how to perform lifts correctly. Obviously this site is great for info on diet and training, but when it comes to actually performing the lifts, it is difficult to learn without the help of someone more experienced. All the guys I know who are semi-successful in their training have all started out with someone showing them the ropes, be it a mate, family member, training partner etc.. Is this the case with most on here?

Also ties in with research before starting.. the lack of reearch people do is probably why so many give up. Obviously, there are a lot wiser people on this site than me so I'm wondering if you guys think it's the most important thing to have someone to show you correct form and to do a lot of research before you start (probably) wasting a lot of time and money on inefficient training? .. or if it's something you just learned from trial and error..

2. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

Squats and deadlifts. If you can hit the gym 2x a week and just do compounds as a beginner this will be THE best gains you'll ever have (along with diet and rest obviously)

Squats
      Bench
      Wide grip pull ups
      Shrugs

Deadlift
      Military press
      BOR
      Dips

Tend to find most people have form issues with squats and deadlifts and just can't suss out how to progress.

3 sets 10 add 1-2kg a week until you plateau and split.

I posted pretty much the same thing for another dude the other day...

2x a week is ideal for first 6 months.

Infact, even harder than explaining form, try explain less is more!

3. suighja

How Many of You...

Don't really know many people who are interested in training so never had any one to show me the ropes. Had the odd personal trainer try and show technique etc when joining a new gym but its hard to take advice from somebody who is not in decent shape.

I've always found that good technique comes if I close my eyes and concentrate on just squeezing the target muscle. Seems to help with limiting bringing any other muscles into the movement. In all honesty though i would love to have someone to learn from in person.

4. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

at first i didn't, but then i started reading up and pretty much taught myself about form and technique. a few guys at my gym gave me pointers which helped, and now i train with a buddy we spot each other and make sure form and technique is good.
      i have noticed a lot of newbie trainers especially young ones come in with a mate and don't tend to take it seriously, or lift way to heavy without form aka ego training as i did myself when i first started.

youtube helped me a lot with learning correct form, and the gym mirror is your friend to lol

5. suighja

How Many of You...

'In our daily life we are not aware that we may, in fact, live in a hologram and our existence is a holographic projection, nothing more. All what we believe is real, our whole physical world, is - in fact - an illusion being proved by the holographic universe, one of the most remarkable theories of 20th century.

Energy fields are decoded by our brains into a 3D picture, to give the illusion of a physical world. Despite its apparent materiality, the universe is a kind of 3-D projection and is ultimately no more real than a hologram.

"Our brain mathematically construct objective reality by interpreting frequencies that are ultimately from another dimension, a deeper order of existence that is beyond both space and time.'

6. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

yeah, my mate said he learned everything from Youtube videos haha.. i'm still learning and have had setbacks in the past but I'm considering getting a session in at an mma gym near me who have guys trained in olympic lifts. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the importance of having someone to show you correct form and if it's how they started.

7. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

I think the lack of having someone to show you how to train etc, can lead to SOME (yes I said some not all) to jump on the steroid boat sooner than they should, because they can't gain naturally.

8. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

Been on the shrooms have we?

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

I taught myself how to train and perform the main lifts with correct technique. I always do lots of research into any new area in my life before throwing myself blindly into things.

I started out on Starting Strength which I think is the best place for any newbie to start. I watched Rippetoes videos on form over and over again to make sure I was doing everything properly and now it is just second nature.

People who just go into things with no knowledge of the dos and don'ts will more than likely end up with a serious injury or if they're lucky simply limited gains.

10. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

How Many of You...

YouTube is great but there is some bad form too lol gotta be careful