• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Go for a run

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by crormaSoila18, May 14, 2012.

1. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

I know it's a popular notion on this forum in general that cardio either isn't necessary for fat loss or that HIIT is somehow superior. My goal here is to maybe (just maybe) change your mind. Each time I find myself cutting I'm always surprised just how much easier it is when I incorporate light/moderate distance running into my routine. It doesn't take a lot of time and doesn't have to be incredibly difficult. The benefits go beyond a faster/stronger cut with a steeper calorie deficit - I find that my stamina in the gym improves along with overall energy levels throughout the day/week. If anything the 3-5 miles a run 2-3 times per week actually augment lower body resistance training I routinely do once a week as well.

Screw the interval training. Screw treadmills. Screw the misinformation and irrational fears of muscle loss.

Put on your sneakers and go for a jog.

Outside.

Satisfaction is guaranteed.

2. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Go for a run

i definitely found 3 miles 3xweek really good when i cut originally (went from 200pounds to about 160) and i have put on some muscle now and intend to get the bf right down.

i like to do a few slowish jogs throughout the week and then 1 timed 5k, fast as possible. really helps motivate me for cardio with the measurable improvements

3. alomjabpd

Go for a run

I agree.

I started following this; http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's only twenty minutes, three times a week. For those you like progressiveness, I certainly suggest giving this a go. It's not too heavy, but enough to give your heart a good workout.

4. crormaSoila18

Go for a run

well put, sir

5. pustehull

pustehull Well-Known Member

Go for a run

Im lacing up my shoes right now, but to do sprints, outside.
      Post cardio Ben and Jerrys here i come.... (literally)

6. alomjabpd

Go for a run

I usually close out my runs with the last quarter mile being as close to a dead sprint as I can manage.

My running buddy, a 5yo black-labrador doesn't always appreciate the final leg home

7. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Go for a run

I find going for a nice long run not only helpful in cutting but also relaxing. As crazy as that sounds, I love throwing on my Ipod and just going, clears my head of the junk of the day......

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Go for a run

/agree.

I don't run as much as I would like--we can chalk that up to laziness, really. I spent 2 hours the other night watching American Dad reruns and smoking tea, I could have been running during that time. It can be a pain in the neck to run in NYC (I loathe cardio machines) but there are always places to go.

I hate HIIT. It rips my legs up. Also, plain jane jogging is an easy way to get a nice natty tan. (I did insanity last year and it was great. It is NOT HIIT. It's, at best MIIT.)

I'm never comfortable with the notion that fat people shouldn't be doing cardio. This might be a purely anecdotal notion, but--How many fat people do you know who run 20 miles a week?

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Go for a run

There's 3 mile loop around my neighborhood, I've just started putting my dog on a leash and going for a nice 30 or so minute jog.

I haven't noticed any significant changes in the gym, but I've only been doing this for about a week.

10. crormaSoila18

Go for a run

Agreed. I started running 20 miles per week broken down over 5 days when I was training for a half-marathon. Then I ran 5 half-marathons, one every Sunday for a month with someone who was training for an ultra-marathon, and I fell in love with running.

feelsgoodman

Ran a 2 mile in under 13 minutes last week. 12:59 but hey, that's under 13 minutes. It's all in dem Reebok Zigs.

Tags: