• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Do You Correct People?

Discussion in 'Training' started by jailynn24hb, May 20, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

When I first started out lifting and didn't really know what I was doing I was helped out considerably by random people in the gym advising me on form and technique. I never minded people pointing out my shortcomings and actually thanked people for saving me a lot of time and effort doing exercises wrong. Now I know what I'm doing though, I never point out to others in the gym who have particularly poor form unless I think there's a chance of injuring themselves. The few times I did do it, my advice was met with awkwardness from people who clearly rather continue to waste their time than face the embarrassment of being told you're doing something wrong.

So when you see beginners struggling away with poor form lifting as heavy a weight as they can do you advise them, or do you just let them do their thing?

2. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

i almost never give advice to people unless they are my friend.

i have been given advice from strangers and it has helped lots but i am the kind of person that is very open to taking advice. many people dont like being told they are doing things wrong and get embarassed

3. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

1) 90% of what you were told about proper form by people in the gym was probably incorrect.

2) I question whether you now know what you are doing. Without proof, I always question. Usually turns out I made the right call.

3) Most people do not want a random person to start telling them what to do or how to do it.

4. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

I just let them do their thing. If they wanted advice and cared if they were doing things wrong, they would do the research before going to the gym. Instead they are only there to build up their ego, so I let them do it.

5. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

Unsolicited advice is generally crap advice.

Most of the time it is some completely oblivious and ignorant person who thinks they know better than everyone else.

6. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

indeed

i have been given plenty of bad advice by randoms....even personal trainers

7. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

of interesting note, i saw a guy try to give his workout partner advice the other day. his own partner blew him off and said "whatever", and continued doing it his own way.

8. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

if they circle around the free weights, stretching, lunging and doing chest pushes against a wall, for 30 minutes before gearing up the confidence to load up a bar/ grab some dumbells and start exercising.

yeh. them guys usually appreciate some advice, and are glad to realise that all us lifters don't have a post workout diet of gym noobs.

if some guy walks over to the squat rack, puts 400lbs on there and jiggles a few inches up and down, whilst screaming and spitting all over the mirror. nahh. he doesn't want advice. he wants you to watch him do what he calls lifting some heavy ass weight.

guys like that, if i feel like being an arse, I usually wait untill they're done and rep their weigh with decent depth and shout warmup baby. (just kidding)

9. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

Unless someone asks for help, I don't say a word.

If you're in the gym on a crusade to correct bad form you'll never get any training done.

10. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Do You Correct People?

I understand but some advice can be easily judged as being apt or bull. For example, if someone can feel more isolated muscle stress from taking on some advice on a certain technique, then it's usually because it's improved their form.

Also, regarding your second point, would you agree that a large amount of the proof would be in the physical appearance of the person offering the advice? If someone built like Ronnie Coleman says you need to change the way you squat, it might be worth hearing them out.

I agree with your first point though. The people who are very happy to dish out advise are usually the ones who have no clue what they're doing themselves. In my previous gym there was a guy who offered advise on technique to anyone who came within 10 metres of his workout. He was overweight, had zero muscle definition and spent 4 hours a day in the gym!

Tags: