• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Chris Jones on the downside of IIFYM/Flexible Dieting

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by vijugati8g, May 10, 2012.

1. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Chris Jones of the popular youtube channel PhysiquesOfGreatness just put up a video pointing out the downside of a IIFYM/Flexible diet. His main point was that you don't really feel satisfied and its really hard to fit a lot of things into your diet.

For example having to eat only 1 slice of pizza or 1/2 a cup of ice cream. He said its better to just have a cheat day or cheat meal and just let loose and enjoy yourself to fully feel satisfied.

I think he has a point and just nibbling on "dirty food" to fulfill some craving makes you even more hungry for that food and leaves you unsatisfied.

Thoughts?

I cant post videos or links yet but go to youtube and search the channel "PhysiquesOfGreatness"

2. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Chris Jones on the downside of IIFYM/Flexible Dieting

Unfortunately, people post lots of really crappy fitness/diet videos on YouTube.

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

I can't agree with this honestly. Tonight I am going to have a whole half a pizza to MYSELF... 4 huge slices, and I'm still within my calorie limit and it fits my Macros. I also pound an entire calzone down myself every Sunday night... along with garlic knots... I also eat more than a 1/2 a cup of Ice cream as well.. And I'm still cutting, maintaining muscle mass, and lost 20 pounds steadily.

EDIT: This is also a guy who said this:

"Watch as I show yall how to still eat healthy late at night when those cravings come in. If your awake and your hungry u better feed those muscles! dont fall into the hype of ppl saying stop eating at a certain time; that will put u in a catobolic state."

4. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I feel he is legit and everything he said is things that I have been thinking through experience as well. Every time I tried to have a IIFYM/Flexible dieting meal I am almost always left with a feeling of being unsatisfied and craving more rather then feeling fulfilled.

I have seen other people on this board mention it to and everyone always the just attacks them with

"YOU NEED SELF CONTROL, IIFYM IS THE ONLY WAY!!!!!! STFU!!!!"

thats the type of responses people give to anyone saying IIFYM/Flexible dieting does not work for them.

5. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

You don't even know the definition of IFFYM (really just DCA), obviously.

6. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

What foods were you eating? How active are you? How full you feel and get depends on the foods you eat... I gauge my diet to where I have to FORCE myself to eat as much as I do.

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

I have that problem when I'm cutting. When I'm really cutting it is just so not satisfying...and actually sort of miserable eating a small amount of somethign outside of the "normal bodybuilding diet". I prefer just a "scew macros" cheat day. Now on a bulk it's great because it forces me to not overeat and pay more attention to my diet but hell last night I went to bob evans and had a chicken fried steak, hash browns, white toast, and a pancake and it all fit my macros just fine and I'm staying in pretty good shape. This is where I think it is beneficial to the "nornal person" jus staying in good shape so they are not miserable. The freedom is great and guess what you can diet and go out to eat with our spouse etc. etc.

his point is really only valid for those on extreme diets trying to get extreme physiques. IE during contest prep I'd be much more satisfied eating white rice than I would eating 1/2 a serving of ice cream...that's a no brainer...a little ice cream is worse than no ice cream for many.

but for 99% of the people using a "just hit your macros approach" this is not an issue.

8. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

You need to do whatever you want to do in the end. People who spew nonsense like this often times do not understand this simple principle....I control the food and the things I put in my mouth. It's not the food controlling me!

If people don't want to use DCA as part of their diet...go for it.

9. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Chris Jones also said that eating an apple at night may make him store fat, and if your cutting you should only eat cottage cheese with nuts at night.

Although he has some good videos, when it comes to nutrition i rarely adapt any advice given on youtube, except for Brandon from CampbellFitness. He is legit

Edit: i also like Matt Ogus he has some good stuff as well

10. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Last edited by Kagina; Today at 06:58 AM.