• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Am I crashing my metabolism?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by crormaSoila18, Feb 25, 2012.

1. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

I'm 6ft 220 and I'm 19. I've had a slow metabolism my whole life but I lift 5 data a Week and do some cardio. Is eating 1500 cals a day way to low and could it be slowing down my weight loss since it might mess with my metabolism? Or is 1500 good? My bmr is 2200. But I'm doing a little more than 500 less to speed up fat loss but could it be faster if I eat 1700?Like would eating 1700 increase my metabolism?

2. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Am I crashing my metabolism?

You've been listening to some idiots. Starvation mode doesn't exist.... Your metabolism doesn't crash. You don't have a slow metabolism.

That said, there is no reason for you to eat less than 2000 calories per day. This isn't about how quickly you can lose weight. This is about how you look when you get lean. One to two pounds per week. That is your goal.

I'm guessing your problem is all about patience and consistency. How long have you been consistent? If you don't answer with more than three weeks..... you've just started.

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

^^^^ agreed although i think you could go as low as 1700 as long as you have the right macro mix and are working out

4. Artguy

Artguy Well-Known Member

i bet your maintenance is closer to 3000... BMR is the number you use if you were to lay in bed all day. you are supposed to multiply that number by an activity multiplier to figure out a general idea of a maintenance level.

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree with Ejthomp, Please keep in mind he's a very active and a respected member. And I'm just an average new poster.

However You're Calories are up to you, you have to know you're own goal. I would think 1500-1700 is good for a slow continious weight loss, You could eat 2000 if thats what you're body demands and then do a half an hour of cardio and you'll get the same results...

However Starvation mode DOES EXIST our bodys have been made to adapt and evolve... Think of our earlier ancestors they couldnt eat as much in the winter because there was just simply overall less food so during the winter months there metabolism slowed down as they didnt eat as much, if this didnt happen they would of all died....Now with this being said...Our traits and genes have mutated a bit over the millions of years... We still have this starvation "Hibernate" trait but not to the same extent.. You would have to be eating ALOT of calories under Maintance like around 1,000 straight for a month or so to get HALF of the effect our ancestors got... With this being said you're metabolism won't change by eating a small reduced calorie deficit..

However again I'm going to disagree with Ejthomp some people just do have a naturally slow metabolism... Most people like to blame that for their excuse of failure of eating right.. But there are some families who just have the genetic.. A "Slow" metabolism isn't an excuse... You can still lose weight even if you are diagnosed with a slow metabolism.. It won't be any harder or any easier for you..

You seem to know what you're doing so keep at it.. You're losing weight a healthy way... You're not going to wake up to a 6 pack.... It'll take months man but in the long run.. Is a couple months of busting you're butt worth feeling good about you're self? I'd sure as heck think so.. Keep at it boss. Hope to see you back here in a couple months with progress pictures.

Edit: I have dyslexia and this is a long post for me, so I gave up on any grammar as it got frusterating...Hope this helps

6. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Last edited by Jrosenfeld; Today at 02:31 PM.

7. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

I started doing this December 28th. And have been 100% consistent since that day. I was just wondering if I could benefit more from eating a bit more. Thanks for the help!

8. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

nvm

9. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Last edited by PigFlys; Today at 02:31 PM.

10. carmenkyle

carmenkyle Well-Known Member

I see in your profile that you've lost twenty-six pounds since you've started. That is great work. You're losing plenty fast. I will agree that there is nothing technically wrong with 1700 calories. The question is, can you stay on that restricted diet forever? It has to be dam hard at that level. Can you really stick it out? Real success is long term and killing yourself on a low calorie diet isn't sustainable. Now, if you add a couple hundred calories to your diet, you know your weight loss will slow, right? That is to be expected. Just part of the game. Calories in/calories out.

And...starvation mode doesn't exist. Not unless you are starving....we're talking five percent body fat....so you've got a ways to go before that.