• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • will strength return when i start eating more carbs

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by laxgoaliesrhs, May 29, 2012.

1. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I have been dieting for about 7 months now and have lost about 75lbs, which im very happy about but i have become significantly weaker. My bench has gone down about 80 lbs and squat has dropped close to 100lbs. My question is when i am done loosing weight and decide to bulk, and start eating a lot more carbs will my lifts increase quickly. I know i wont be lifting close to the same amount of weight as i was before, but will at least some of my strength return quickly. Also i have been eating roughly 100g carbs a day
      thanks

2. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

will strength return when i start eating more carbs

Your strength shouldn't decrease on a cut if you are eating correctly. Sometimes a person will lose about 10% of their strength. What are your macros?

3. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

I've always found that my performance in the gym is very closely related to the volume of carbs I eat.

I'm pretty shocked that you've seen such dramatic drops in your major lifts - especially with 100gm of carbs a day already in your diet. Have you been training consistently? Have you improved your form? One thing I notice more frequently in younger guys is that their form is terrible when they're younger especially when you get a bunch of them together without a lot of supervision as you see in highschool sports teams. People focused only with moving as much weight as possible with no regard to form or outside assistance. There's at least one video of a young buck on youtube claiming to bench 315lbs, except when you watch the video you see him bounce the bar off his chest, contort his body in terrible ways, and his spotter deadlift probably at least 1/3 of the weight for him. The only reason I bring this up is that were I to work out with that young guy routinely, in fixing his form you'd watch the actual amount of weight he was capable of moving by himself and with proper form decrease significantly simply from doing the exercise correctly. Now that guy from the video I watched last week was a wirey little dude that I wouldn't have guessed could put up 225 once much less 315. In looking at your avi, I can already say that you're no beginner to the weight room. I have no idea if this applies to you or not but it could be an explanation for why you've seen such dramatic losses.

As for ground you've previously had and lost, yes it should come back quickly.

Do you mind if I ask what your previous lifts were and what they've currently dropped to? I see my big trophy lifts (bench/dead) tend to stagnate and stall out on a cut while other exercises continue to improve - but I've never seen the kind of dramatic losses you describe.

4. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

I think my form is pretty well in check, i have been lifting for quite a while and use to weightlift competitively in high school. I use to bench 420, and am now down to 350, squat went from 600 to about 500, and for deadlift im not to sure what my 1rep max is but i got 500 2 times the other day and use to DL 605. and i have stayed very consistent with my lifting.

5. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

225-250g of protein, about 100g of carbs and im not to sure how many fats, and i have been eating 2400 calories lately,

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

For the bench you also have to remember that the more weight you lose the further the bar has to go with good form - might account for some of the observed discrepancy. Big guys with thick rib cages and overlying tissues with good form can dramatically alter the distance you physically have to push.

7. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I've been on a proper calorie controlled, macro controlled cut now for just over 3 months.... My strength has actually increased overall. Every 2-3 weeks I feel that normal dumbell work just feels too "light". I don't get that pump feeling anymore, and I don't feel as if I trained in the evenings.... Until I up my weights, and then I feel good again, like i actually did something in the afternoon train session.

my deadlift max was about 120kg, which I battled with in the beginning. Now, I use that as a warmup, and my max today was at 175Kg for 1 rep...

8. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Ya that could play a role in it, hopefully when i decide to start bulking it will jump back up.
      thanks for the replys! reps

9. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

sounds like your carbs are simply too low for keeping your energy levels up while lifting. try messing with your macros some and get more carbs in there some how. that is quite a dramatic drop though. is your form any different now than it was when you started? sometimes people forget that they start with really high lifts but super terrible form and ROM, and by the end of a cut they're lifting much better even though the numbers are lower.

10. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Na as far as i can tell my form is pretty much the same, and ya i think i might try eating a little more carbs, and see how that helps, hopefully it wont effect the weight lose to much