• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Why do people use rep ranges and not TUT

Discussion in 'Anabolic Zone' started by djbuffnstuff, Apr 1, 2012.

1. djbuffnstuff

djbuffnstuff Well-Known Member

I train using TUT (time under tension) and will never train using specific rep ranges again

Its all about hitting the right energy systems to gain either

strength
      mass
      endurance

Any thoughts??

2. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Why do people use rep ranges and not TUT

sounds awesome

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

am i sensing sarcasm :)

4. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Please go into more depth about "Time Under Tension".

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

TUT is the amount of time a muscle is held under tension for during one set of an exercise.

eg 10 reps, 2 secs per rep = 20 secs a set

20 secs only utilises the first energy system - creatine produced in the body (which promotes strength)

*creatine is used for up to approx 20 - 40 secs max then glycogen starts to be used

10 reps, 6 secs per rep = 60 secs which utilises glycogen (creates hypertrophy)

so, both examples are 10 reps with different results

6. wakamjibu1n

wakamjibu1n Well-Known Member

For me, it goes down in history as another muscle building fad. It started gaining popularity in the early 90's. It belongs in the bin along with Pete Sisco's Static Contraction, Super Slow, Ellington Darden's Bigger Muscles in 42 days (promises gains of up to 34.3lbs in that timescale), the X-REP technique and scores of other bro-science routines.

Ant

7. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Who wants to be counting every second of every rep of every set... Fcuk that
      Progressive overload and failure is easy to track and has been proven to be effective over the years ...
      What happens if you get to 59 seconds and end your set are you sayin you won't grow?

8. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Just lift the cvnt and get on with it I say! Don't complicate things

9. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

the reason fads always pop up is that everything works, but not everything works forever.

personally I've never met any huge guys who do anything other than lift heavy ass weights.

10. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Ok, let me explain this to you a little as you are not quite schooled on what you are talking about.

1: There is not a ‘first energy system’ there are motor units with different response durations.

2: Hypertrophy is created during strength gain as well, it is called myofibrillar hypertrophy. You are likely referencing Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and it is worth nothing the two are not mutually exclusive to each other.

3: The reason people use rep ranges is very simple. Following the average time taken to complete a repetition with a challenging weight the standard format for training for your average gym rat aiming for 10 reps is going to hit around 50-60 seconds for a set – thus the methodology may be different but the result is the same.

Without sounding insulting I would hazard a guess that you are not the biggest, strongest or most conditioned trainer on the site, or in fact even close to being any of the above.

Many people manage to get big and strong in spite of poor training knowledge because they simply lift heavier weights and work hard, frankly I believe this far superior than worrying about this sort of bollocks.
      The top pros bodybuilders work in rep ranges, the top powerlifters work in rep ranges. They bust their ass and work hard and guess what: it works!