• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • "What Really Makes Us Fat" - Carbs? - NY Times article

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by baletki, Jul 4, 2012.

1. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Just came across this article and wanted to share it here and see what other people thought of it. I've often thought low carb diets were a fat and I believed a calorie was a calorie. Basically I've been keeping myself under my calorie limit, getting all of my protein, and then dividing up the rest of my calories between fat and carbs without prioritizing one or the other.

This article is based on a study that suggests there really is something to low carb diets for increasing our metabolism. Maybe I should try to get more fat and less carbs in my diet. I need to read more about it though and see more opinions on it, but it's an interesting read anyway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...es-us-fat.html

2. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

"What Really Makes Us Fat" - Carbs? - NY Times article

and

here

we

go

again

3. baletki

[​IMG]

4. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Carbs make you fat because you easily over-indulge in them and thus eat at a caloric surplus. It's not the carbs themselves making anyone fat, it's the surplus of calories, just learn to apply IIFYM and eat properly.

5. baletki

It's an OPINION column.

Everybody chill your boners.

6. baletki

Sorry, but it's not like the article is years old that I'm resurrecting. It's less than a week old so I think it's still relevant. I'm sorry to interrupt the all important threads on the front page about diet sodas and counting calories while eating out, because surely nobody has ever made threads about those topics before.

Uh, read the article. Or at the very least read the snippet I quoted in my post. Yes, we all know consuming more calories than you burn is what makes you fat. Nobody is disputing that. But if eating less carbs makes your metabolism faster (as the study claims), then people can consume more calories from a low carb diet without getting fat.

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

You're correct. That has been posted here a couple of time but there's no way OP could have known that. Here is a blog covering that you might find interesting.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...re-differ.html

8. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Relax bro. I didn't neg you or anything. The first poster in this thread said, here we go again, and I was explaining why. The other threads were multiple pages.

9. baletki

Thanks for the link. Interesting read and the kind of material I hoped to find when I posted the original link.

10. gynybark

gynybark Guest

There is some truth to this, but only because by consuming too many carbs people don't hit the optimal targets for fat and protein. A lot of readily made food is essentially Carb and Fat heavy. A calorie is a calorie in the context of hitting your macros. Optimal protein and fat with proper exercise will certainly lead to better results than suboptimal consumption in either.