• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Two steps forward, three steps back.

Discussion in 'Training' started by herunder88, Mar 6, 2012.

1. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Hello.

I've been all over the place - trying to build muscle on a 1000 calorie deficit, using machines exclusively, and all other sorts of idiocy.

After reading Rip's book, I've wised up. I eat 2500-3000 calories a day (Which is the very most I can eat, due to digestive issues) and I'm doing the good ones - squats, deadlifts, etc.
      I've switched from fast food dinners to a pound of chicken. I aim for 180-200g of protein at a minimum.

I'm 31, 6'7, 236lbs with about 19% bodyfat. I started training with a light weight and added 10 to squats, 15 to deadlifts, 5 to everything else.

(I am battling patellofemoral arthritis, but Rip's squat technique so far has been awesome and pain free)

So right now, here's where I am:
      Overhead press: 85 - Hard to progress
      Bench: 100 - Slow, but some progress
      Squats: 110 - Stuck here
      Deadlifts: 190 - So far, piece of cake to progress on.

I do warmup as suggested in SS.

(I know I don't eat 3000-4000 and I don't do powercleans yet, so I know, YNDTP.)

Here's where I think I might be screwing up:
      1) I don't eat enough. Should I force myself to eat even though it's going to make me sick?
      2) I do Muay Thai 2-3x a week, and cycle 30-80 miles a week. Is the cardio work killing my progress?
      3) I rest about 45 seconds between sets before the boredom sets in and I get itchy. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough?

2. druid

druid Well-Known Member

Two steps forward, three steps back.

Correct on all accounts.

If you aren't gaining weight, then you aren't eating enough. Try different foods that don't make you sick? More calorie dense foods? Eating snacks between meals? Find a way to eat more.

Cardio interferes with your recovery, and burns extra calories that you have to fight to get in. If you drop the cardio you won't have to eat as much, and will recover better - win/win.

Pretty sure Rip recommends 3-7 minutes of rest between worksets. I've gone as long as 10 minutes between heavy squat sets. Rest as long as you need to.

3. herunder88

1. Get in liquid calories. As long as you are getting enough nutrition from your basic diet, you can add ANY calorie source including sugary/fatty food
      2. If you are limited by how much you can eat then YES!
      3. That's quite a short rest time. Take as long as you need and aim to progress in the weight you use

4. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Thanks. So am I better getting an extra 400 calories from, say, Dr. Pepper, than getting no extra calories?

Right now I'm eating tons of peanuts/cashews/almonds/peanut butter to get my calories in.

5. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

all...1,2 and 3 are killing you. eat...A LOT. Accoriding to freedieting.com...you're maintance level is 2952, your just eating enough to maintian your current body...on top of that your cycling 30-80 miles a week...which is probably creating a calorie defict. Also your not resting long enough between. SS is a strength program, the longer you rest the more your strength rebuild. 45secs is def not long enough to regain your strength.

I'd keep the muay thai though.

6. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Get some carbohydrates too. PB + jelly + bread for example.

7. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Looks like I'm going to be going through a lot more milk and peanut butter.
      Will just have to figure out how to deal with resting a few minutes between sets.

8. herunder88

pb&j with a post workout protein shake, thats a great post workout meal.

9. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

That's easy. Just stalk around the gym with a wild look in your eye thinking about sex and violence.

10. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

In other words...act like a US Marine...LOL