• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Training without shoes

Discussion in 'Training' started by Canellesao, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

For a couple of weeks, I've been taking off my shoes to do squats, cleans and deadlifts. My lifts feel smoother and I feel more balanced. Does anybody else do this? Is it healty to train like this - without the support of shoes?

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

Honestly, wouldn't recommend it.

1. If your at a gym that's pretty gnarly.
      2. When your training your body is "more openly exposed" and what I mean by this is you are wearing yourself down therefore at that time your more susceptible to sickness, disease, injury (if you step on something). Also depending on the temperature of the environment your in as-well, I don't know about you but I don't get cold very often but if my feet are cold im usually freezing.
      3. If you drop a weight on your foot, adios to exercising (A shoe although its not steel might help cushion the fall)
      4. If your doing cardio without shoes your most likely going to have some pretty bad lower back pain the following day.
      5. A lot of things in the exercise world are very mental so it plays a role, I just don't feel safe throwing around weight without shoes but if you feel more balanced to each's own.

3. Artguy

Artguy Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

Last edited by vollric; Today at 10:41 AM. Reason: mispellage

4. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

vibram five finger toe shoes. i wear em and it's very similar to squatting/deadlifting without shoes. i suggest those opposed to the risk of dropping metal on skin/bone. even a 5 lb plate can break toes...

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

It all goes back to what works best for you bro. If you feel more balanced and lifts feel smoother, I say continue to do what you are doin. Just make sure the area you are doing your lifts is sanitary and watch them toes cause you don't want to lose one or all of them by dropping a weight on them lol.

Side note: if you look at some of the old training videos of Arnold and other lifters, alot of them lifted with bare feet at times.

6. tu1ck

tu1ck Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

I think it's fine from a lifting standpoint. However if you're lifting at a gym it might be considered rude not to mention exposing your feet to some nasty stuff.

7. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

If i drop a weigh on my Converses, I think I'm just as effed. lol

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

Cheers for the opinions. For the record, I am wearing socks still and the area which I'm shoeless is away from everyone else - i'm in the powercage. And I am only doing it for squats, deads and cleans. I'll keep trying it and just see how it goes.

9. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

Yea unless you wear steel toed shoes to the gym I don't think the shoes provides much protection if you drop a 45lb plate on your foot lol.

10. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Training without shoes

lol fine you have a winning strong point =)

Tags: