• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Train Through?

Discussion in 'Sporting Injuries/Side Effects' started by musclemad, Nov 14, 2012.

1. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

I have been training for 5 years now and I have a good connection with my body, I know when something is wrong and when it is minor. I usually train through minor strains because I can usually recover from a minor strain in a day or two.

Do you train through minor strains or do you stop as soon as it doesn't feel right?

2. Zonezan

Zonezan Member

I'm not as experienced as you but if I feel a strain I immediately stop. I Used to weight train in high school but stopped for a few years and now I'm back on it. Back in high school our coach would tell us, if you are hurting do not push yourself. So that is what I follow.

3. Bunnywithagun

Bunnywithagun Member

It is situational for me. I listen to my body. A little pain never killed anyone. I typically wont stop just because something is a little sore. If anything I will just drop down the weight a bit. I do a 5 day split so that muscle group will have more then enough time for recovery. Unless of course its something more serious! Then I will let it heal!

4. musclemad

I do a 3 x a week full body split so I have a day to rest after my workout and then I have 2 days to rest over the weekend. The rest in between my workouts and over the weekend is usually enough time to recover from minor strains. Knowing what you can train through and when you should stop is very important, you learn through experience.

5. Gift3d

Gift3d Member

its actually pretty dumb to train through strains.. That can lead into something even worse.

Not saying you are dumb haha I do the same thing. I want to get out of that habit tho, because if it leads to something worse BAM no training for a while.

When I leg press my knees bother me a bit but I push through

6. musclemad

I don't think it;s dumb when you have the experience to judge the severity of the strain. I know from experience that there are certain strains I can train through without making it worse.

I would be much more wary with knee niggles, though. I always have a break when I feel any knee pain.

7. Gift3d

Gift3d Member

what kind of strains are you talking about exactly?

8. musclemad

Minor strains, as I stated in the original post. Usually wrists strains and strains in my back or neck. I don't suffer from trains often, I would say once every two training cycles and each cycle lasts for 8-weeks.

9. deadweight

deadweight Member

It sort of depends on the strain. Some people associate doms with a strain, I'll usually train my way through it. But if I feel that something is off, then I'll stop and just exercise another muscle group so my body can heal itself.

10. johnwilson225

johnwilson225 Member

I know my body very well and I stop when it doesn't feel right. That is the reason I never been hurt a day in my life. I tend to listen to my body more than how good my muscles will look haha.