• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Supplement Sales

Discussion in 'For Personal Trainers' started by Raleoxilevz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

What supplement companies are you guys involved with for selling to your clients or other gym members? Looking for feedback from actual people here on how much you're making, what the fees are if any, etc. Any one with success with these, even if it's just a little extra income here and there, please let me know. I'm going to be the only trainer in a gym with 400+ member soon and I'd like to get involved with some form of supplement sales ASAP.

2. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

I'd try posting this in the supplements section! lots of reps post there and offer good advice! I'm sure they'd love to have you on board

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

Post this is the supplement thread and I be representatives will help you out!

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

What does NASM say about you selling supplements? will your NASM liability insurance protect you if you get sued because you recommended a supplement that hurt somebody? I dont think it will. Mine wont. Did NASM teach you about supplements? If your not a pharmacist, doctor dietitian be careful about this.

Joe

5. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

This is stupid. (Not calling you stupid, Joe). If the doofus at GNC can sell supplements, so should I (I don't, but I should be able to). As long I don't say, "you MUST take these" to my clients.

6. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

Totally not the same thing. Guy at GNC scans the items you pick out, at a store that you chose to go to.

A trainer that your paying to look after your health pushing supplements that can be harmful definitely has some liability issues. If a client has organ failure from vitamin toxicity (and YES, vitamins are TOXIC if you overdo it, which is why people taking supplements in excess of 100% of daily value are stupid as hell) from vitamins you sold and recommended you can bet your ass that you'll be sued.

7. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

I could understand if you felt that, through experience w/a wide range of people, you found that some supplements worked really well and as such, you'd recommend them to your clients... and then you said, "since I'm making the company a bunch of money, I should earn some money form it as well."

But you're going in the completely opposite direction. You're doing this:
      I want to make more money.
      I can do this if I sell supplements.
      Let me see what supplements my client's might need.

Now I'm not saying that you're necessarily going to sell your clients things that you don't think will help them but you might convince yourself that they need them if you're motivated by money. You should be motivated by helping your cilents.

8. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

While I agree with what you are saying, this is not entirely true and people don't need to be so freaked out about this. You can take up to 20-50 times the RDA of some vitamins and it will have no toxic effects whatsoever. Niacin (B3), B6 and Vitamin A plus your fat soluble ones can build up if you take high doses over time (like ridiculous amounts). Minerals are a different story.

As for trainers selling supplements, I put them in the same boat as people who sell Isagenix or Body By Vi - they don't give a crap about the actual health of their clients otherwise they wouldn't be telling them to buy supplements. They would be telling them to eat healthy, real food that has all the right nutrients in it. Then, if they absolutely can't get 100% of something through that they can try supplementing but it should be a last resort.

9. Brenner

Brenner Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

Dude, no. Do some research on how DVs/RDAs are estimated. WoofieNugget beat me to my point.

Maybe you have never actually been to a GNC, they push products relentlessly. I have no problem with trainers choosing not to sell supplements. I choose not to, and I have a degree in nutrition and food sciences. But I don't think it is unethical to sell supplements as long as the trainer's method of selling supplements is done ethically and in good form.

Seriously, isn't this sh*t true for any practice?

10. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Supplement Sales

My point was, there's no benefit to taking over 100% of daily value of most vitamins/minerals (YOUR daily value... which can differ for athletes vs non-athletes). And yes I know it's not toxic if you take like double the daily value, but some people do stupid **** like take an entire gram of vitamin C supplements, which does nothing good for you and causes kidney stones.

Vitamin A starts becoming toxic at only 3X the recommended daily intake.

If you're going to be selling supplements you need to know this kind of stuff. There's too many people out there that believe more is better when it comes to vitamins.