• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • So my 13 y/o brother wants to workout with me

Discussion in 'Training' started by alomjabpd, Jul 22, 2012.

1. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

He has always made fun of me for doing nothing but "working out." Obviously I have always ignored this, because the only thing little brothers know how to do is annoy their older brother.

He comes up to me and says"Can I workout with you tomorrow?" I obviously answered "hell yea!" , I want my bro to be big and want the best for him, because thats just what anyone would want for their bros.

So tomorrow we are working out, and I must say I have a lot more experience than him and I do pretty long workouts. Should I push him thru it or just make him do alot less things than me?

also what things should I make him do? Monday is Chest and abs day.

I dont want to start him on any Rippetoe or anything because im not sure this is something he wants to commit to. I plan on showing him the ropes and how to use proper form etc etc,basically gunna be his personal trainer. Anything you guys suggest for a 1st timer?

Anything I should tell him?

2. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

So my 13 y/o brother wants to workout with me

Tell him, if you want to come, you need to go regularly, or your just wasting both our times.

3. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

He's a bmxer and scooterer too. (Hes good) b

I did tell him not to waste my time, and im am fully willing to spend more time at the gym to teach him everything i know. The thing is though, that he doesnt KNOW if hes going to like it or not.

4. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Tell him to do babylover's starting strength and teach him about diet.

Kick his ass if he doesn't commit.

5. Korporalegq

have him do some fun BS stuff, kids dont like to be pushed out of their comfort zone.. or else he might never want to try it again

6. Korporalegq

Most likely he will not start working out tomorrow and continue until he's dead, don't worry about a routine yet. The first few workout sessions should be used to try and associate him with the various exercises, maybe show him some safety tips, etc. Get him to do a wide range of workouts, let him go at his own intensity. The dedication, commitment and motivation (ie sticking to a plan ) will occur on their own within him, you can't force it onto him. Just make sure you don't yell at him or do anything traumatic that he might associate with working out as he is still relatively young.

7. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was just planning to show him the ropes and the kind of stuff I do when I go.

8. tausch

tausch Well-Known Member

This.

Kids want to do stuff fun. Don't push it heavy on him. Have him do BW exercises and some DB stuff

9. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Thanks

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Coming from a 14 year old myself, It all relies on him. If he isnt into bodybuilding or weightlifting, dont force it. But if he is, get him started quickly. I was into this but nobody taught me the ways. Get him on SS and then into PHAT or a split. Teach him the ways if hes into it