• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Skinny Fat?

Discussion in 'Training' started by remstation, Jul 29, 2012.

1. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Hey everyone-

New to the forum here. Quick information on myself: 27yr old male, 5'9, 145lbs. After doing some researching, I think I have come to the conclusion that I am what many consider "skinny fat." I am very thin in all areas, aside from my midsection. I've dieted down to as low as 127 lbs (only consuming 1100 cals daily), but somehow my gut still remained.

After consulting with my brother, he feels that I need to focus on building and developing a solid muscle base - rather than cutting to dangerously low calorie levels. With that said, he recommended I start a 3 day/week full body routine with a focus on compound lifts. I started last week, and my lifts consist of: pullups/chinups, deadlift, squat, bench press, press. I started with just the bar because he told me that the goal would be to add 5lbs each week.

As for diet, I have been focusing on bringing in 1600-1800 cals daily. This has consisted mostly of eggs, turkey sausage, cliff bars, various fruits and veggies, lean meats, brown rice, sweet potatoes etc. My bro even recommended that I consider the zone diet.

Anyhow - how does all of this sound? Should I be focusing on a "bulk" routine right now? Are my calories ok? It seems to me that skinny fat guys typically need to develop a muscle base before trying to lose the gut.

I'm attaching photos. Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. Thanks!

2. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

3. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

I was consuming 1100-1200 daily - and yes you are right. My energy level was in the toilet. Along with mood swings, headaches etc. Now, I am focusing on bringing in 1600-1800 - do you think that is still too low? I, along with most skinny fat guys im sure, am a little scared to take in too many calories because I don't want to add to my gut. Although, I am beginning to realize it will be necessary for muscle gain.

As for the Zone Diet, I don't think it is just for women. I know a lot of Crossfitters who do it and have had great results. I've also heard Paleo is great, too.

4. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

I'd look to build some muscle. Something like stronglifts or starting strength. No point in dieting down to nothing first.

5. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

you have no muscle mass at all. cutting for you would be pointless.

run either all pros or SS for 4-6 months and gain 40lbs of WEIGHT then worry about cutting.

Go to the nutrition forum and find out your maintenance level of calories and eat 10-20% more than that to gain weight.

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

I'm not sure about the Zone Diet being low carb from what I know about it. Anyways your nutrition as it is looks fairly good to me just that you should try to eat more (and don't cut out all the fat - it's important for your body). Your workout plan also looks very reasonable. I think your bro knows a thing or two about that stuff, so I'd say take his advice .

7. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

Just eat food...real food with fat in it. Fat unleash testosterone on your body, so you need some fats. As long as you stay 10-20% your mainitance levels you'll never have to worry about getting a 'gut' and when/if you do...just cut for a month.

8. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

This is all great advice! I certainly appreciate the input. And Jason - you are exactly right. I have zero muscle mass.

My focus in the past was always to basically starve myself until I got rid of the fat. But once I got down to 127, I realized that it just wasn't going to happen.

I believe my maintenance is about 1900 cal/daily. I have been eating at 1600-1800. That is still a step up from the 1200 I was eating. Do you guys think I am good with around 1800 calories daily? Or will I need to eat more?

9. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

I think Paleo is more of a "lifestyle" thing.. same with the zone.

You just need to keep in mind some key points - Low carb? Wightloss / Diabetics... Average healthy diet? Balanced Carbs / Protein / Fat / vitamins (whole foods - I try to eat about 90 percent clean but allow myself a 10 percent cheat) ...Athletic diet? Add carbs (cause you need them for extra energy). There I just saved you the trouble of buying 50 diffrent diet books.. lol

Your gut is more about what you eat rather than your calories at this point. From the way you describe yourself I exspected to see an atrophic body with a little etheopian pot belly. You dont look that bad. Just on the basis of your pictures I'd say up your calories, eat clean and lift and you'll start to gain muscle, feel better and more towards the desired shape your looking for. 1800 may be ok to start but if you are feeling tired or your recovery is not happening in a reasonable amount of time check in and see how much and what your eating. Adjust for effecency. I'm not the best person to advise you on the exact number of calories though because women are designed diffrently and don't burn bodyfat nearly as effeciently as men. So you may need MORE. Hope one of the guys will chime in for that specific.

10. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Skinny Fat?

Paleo/Primal is great. I was forced to change to it due to medical conditions (gluten = evil) and while I've always been relatively thin, I did loose 2.5kg in 2 to 3 weeks which made my abs more cut. All that without restricting my food intake (2700 - 3100kcal), doing no cardio at all and seriously upping my fat intake, while of course dumping grains, legumes and all that crap food.

Tags: