• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Shrugs: DB or Barbell for MASS

Discussion in 'Training' started by Canellesao, May 18, 2012.

1. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Just wondering what you guys have found is better for bulking your traps, DB shrugs or barbell shrugs, hopefully based on personal experience. I'm also doing upright rows which I personally find to be a great exercise.

2. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Shrugs: DB or Barbell for MASS

I think you will get mixed opinions. I like to do seated DB shrugs personally.

If i do BB shrugs i take a slight forward lean.

3. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

I like leaning forward and doing barbell shrugs with a pause at the top, and normal dumbbell shrugs; do each on different days. Try dumbbell and barbell and see what works best for you.

4. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I prefer db shrugs mostly for the fact that I personalty feel a better contraction during the lift. That, and because other "things" tend to stay out of the way when I'm using them, lol.

The only issue you may run into with them is that unless you have a good heavy selection of db's it is possible that you may eventually get to the point where you may run out of weight heavy enough where they are no longer very challenging for you. Best bet is usually to try both and decide which you prefer.

5. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

To me bb works better, the movment requires less coordination/stabilization/whateva so i can focus on really using the muscle. But maybe im just not used to db shrugs

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

why not do both - traps seem to recover very quick and can take a pounding...with me at least. personally, I do some heavy 4-7 rep sets with rack pulls/deads...and then at least one other time that week (typically with shoulders) will pick up the dumbbells for some shrugs and/or farmers walks.

7. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I used to have massive traps then took a bit of time off working out when I was playing basketball, just trying to get them back.

8. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

I don't do shrugs at all. Just not comfortable and I usually like to do farmer walks and use the stand calf raises machine if I were to ever do shrugs.

Deadlifts are pretty damn awesome.

9. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Face pulls/DB shrugs super set.

Standing calf machine trap raises, instead of working your calves, lift your shoulders. (SRS)

Rack pull BB shrug hybrid. (Careful when you go heavy, and don't use a mixed grip)

Profit?

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

My traps have been growing from deadlifts, but I also do barbell shrugs. I prefer using a cambared bar for my shrugs. I'm quite flexible in the right shoulder and that bar gives me plenty of room.