• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Should rep range change when cutting?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by Korporalegq, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Im sure this is an age old debate, but would using the same 3 sets of 3-6 reps that you would to gain size apply when cutting? I know some people suggest higher reps, but then some say keep it heavy to keep muscle. does it ALL lie in cardio and primarily calories in vs calories out to determine whether you gain size/cut fat?

for example, would this be appropriate for a leg day while cutting? :

barbell squat 3 sets of 3-5 reps, 2-3 mins rest
      leg press 3 sets of 6-8 reps 1-2 mins rest
      dumbbell lunge 2 sets of 8-10 reps 1-2 mins rest
      leg extension 3 sets of 10-25 reps 1 mins rest

it still has the low reps and large rest periods, but also high reps towards the end. its a confusing topic for me.

Also, when it comes to actual working days in the gym, would it be better to do a 4 day split or a 3 day split? If you are taking in carbs on workout days pwo (say 50g brown rice), that would stop fat loss right? So would more workout days=more carb days and less fat loss?

sorry if these seem like very basic questions. trying to get my head round the fundamentals again. cheers!

2. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Should rep range change when cutting?

Personally my rep range rarely changes whether cutting or bulking.

I do one major exercise per body part for 5 sets of 5-10 reps, then a further 2 support exercises - 3 on leg day - for 2 sets each of 10/12 reps up to failure. Failure could be normal muscular failure, drop sets, negatives, partials or a mixture of them all.

I eat around 600 calories less whilst cutting.

3. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

good advice mate simple , basic and obviously efective !!!

4. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

I've found that higher rep work, done with some proper intensity, does as much for size and strength as the lower rep, heavier stuff.

It's not a question of doing higher rep stuff where the last half dozen reps are tough, more like getting 20 tough reps from a 30 rep set with drops, negatives, forced reps etc.

5. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I notice weight and reps do change while cutting but not by choice I just get weaker on fewer calories and carbs so I tend to lower the weight and do say 6-10 reps instead on most things but I always go to failure no matter what that whats important going to failure

6. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

dont plan to drop weight and reps when cutting just go with the flow and try to maintain as high a weight as you can manage with the rep range you have normally used.. yes weight will go down on a cut due to defecit but if it happens it happens still lift the most you can for the max reps you would normally do, Dont plan to fail...

just dont go injuring yourself trying to lift 300 kg when your max capability in defecit is only 250 kg for example

7. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

cheers everyone. its a shame there is no one size fits all for this sort of thing as you have to filter through so much bro science and conflicting bs before you really reach any sort of good answer. Ill keep everything as normal as possible then i guess while i can.

8. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

I have never really seen the point in doing less than 6 reps when your not a power lifter or strongman, my reps stick at 8-10 reps for the main no matter if I am off season or pre contest, I will always push the heaviest weigh I can for proper form for the required reps, over time my weights will go down but 16 weeks out pressing 300lbs on incline press for 10 has the same effect on the body as pressing 200lbs for 10 reps at 2 weeks out as they are both the max I can lift at that given time....

9. adabook

adabook Well-Known Member

I always stay in the same rep range, even bulking, when I go above 8 reps I dnt seem to keep size or build much, kinda look flat, 4-6reps and I fill out but while cutting the past 16weeks I've kept my strength and I'm 18lbs lighter

10. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

some interesting points. maybe its time for a change up