• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Should I really be bulking?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by alomjabpd, Sep 9, 2012.

1. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

I've received a lot of good advice on this forum, but I am confused by some advice I received recently. I think I am probably around 20% BF. I feel like I should be cutting until I get to around 15% or until I get rid of fat in my core and chest. Last time I have asked the question everyone told me I should be eating 200-500 cal over maintenance. I feel that if I do that I'll gain fat as well. If you could help me understand this, that would be great.

Second question: Would lifting and eating at maintenance be useful?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Should I really be bulking?

You would gain fat. But if you cut, you're just going to end up looking skinny as you've very little muscle mass.
      The idea behind eating at just above maintenance (200 calories) is that you need a surplus to be able to add muscle. And keeping it at a slight surplus means that fat gain should be minimal.
      You could try eating at maintenance but it will almost certainly be less efficient - you may add a small amount of muscle but it will take a long time.

3. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

^This... you really have nothing to cut to

4. unyende

unyende Well-Known Member

Personally I would cut then start a bulk from there. I read somewhere that once your form a new fat cell it never goes away, only the size changes. I would rather cut the current fat and start from being skinny than grow a bunch of new fat cells that will never go away.

5. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

I would cut as well. I'd much rather feel skinny than fat, and you already carry a considerable amount of fat as it is. Cutting to a lower BF% also ensures that you have some leeway for mistakes during your first bulk and that you don't end up at 30%BF or something.

6. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

IMO the best way out of skinny fat is to at right around maintenance and lift on a good full body program until progress slows. Progress in this case being defined by your ability to add weight to the bar every week. Then resume cutting.

This is different than bulking where you eat at a surplus and gain 50% fat & muscle. You do not want to be doing that.

7. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

My goal for next summer (May 2013) is to be lean with some muscle mass. I really am sick of having the chest/core fat. Do you think eating 200 over maintenance and seriously lifting will get me to where I want to be? Maybe this slow bulk for 6 months then a cut for summer? Sorry I'm not arguing, I'm just really confused! Thanks everyone!

8. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

A very slow bulk should do the trick. The slower, the better as that way you'll minimise fat gain.

Cut now and you've only got to bulk later and guess what? You'll put on fat and then have to cut again.

There's no reason why, if you're careful, that you should put much more fat on than you have now with a slow, careful bulk. Sure, you could eat at maintenance but like I said, the problem there is time and you're relying totally on "newb gains" which may not necessarily exist.

Go for 100 to 200 surplus and monitor. If you start adding too much fat, cut down to maintenance if need be. Get a base sorted out before cutting. You don't build anything without a good foundation.

9. resablare

resablare Well-Known Member

This ^^^

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

What would he cut to? He has absolutely no muscle mass, he looks like that because there is nothing underneath....
      There is no fat to cut, its just bad body composition. He wont grow new fat cells, jesus.

Tags: