• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Self conscious at the gym...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alomjabpd, Mar 5, 2012.

1. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Afternoon people,

I've just joined the gym. Im not sure I can justify the cost, but felt I needed to make the first step at least - plus my legs suck, so I want to use the facilities to hit them in a more diverse fashion.

Im going to be bold as to say I'm a recovering recluse (but I'm also a carer so obviously could not be totally reclusive), however, over the last 6 months or so life has been moving in a positive direction (I won't bore with the details).

Finally I built up the courage to go for an induction at the gym. It was a bit of a palaver to be honest. I started by ring and booking an appointment that was in about an hour and a half's time (then). But there is a dress code and I didn't fit it. I needed to acquire trainers and sporty shorts/tacky's (or just not my beige jeans).

After some failed attempts sourcing these items I rang my brother at his work and asked him if he had any I could borrow. He told me the only one's were the ones on his feet... obviously, I when and took them off him. Kindly, he also gave me his keys, so I raided his house for some shorts.

I got to the gym a nervous wreck. Probably sweated a few pints just filling in the paperwork (messy paper that I kept making stupid mistakes on and forgetting stuff like my names, birthday, if I still smoked etc). The person showing me the ropes seemed like a good guy, though.

Im not tall - I think I'm 5'7 but Im told by people I must be taller, maybe 5'8/9 - Im not big (muscle wise) by any standard and the moment I got there I felt like a weed and very uneasy. I was the smallest person there in hight and Im guessing weight.

Im sure I will feel more comfortable after I've been a few times and also gotten to know the people a bit. But I find the thought of people silently criticizing my technique, the weight's I'm lifting, my small size in general all a bit of a head trip to be honest, especially whilst I learn the rhythm of the place and get comfortable with the equipment. I know it shouldn't bother me, and I am pretty good at ignoring things like this normally.

I will do it, because I have made the decision that I will already. But feck me, it's one of those moments in life I'll remember.

I'm not sure why I made this thread to be honest, other than to see what other peoples experience of the gym environment is. I've added a simple poll just to give a general feel of whether people are more or less comfortable going to there gym.

Thanks for reading.

2. addme

addme Well-Known Member

Self conscious at the gym...

We have all been there mate, trust me.

3. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Just think were all human

4. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

everyone is there to better themselves, so everyone in that gym on some level feels the same as you... 'inadequate' otherwise they wouldnt still be there..

5. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

apart from you, you big ape

6. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

theres no poll.....

but youve made the first few steps, theirs small people in every gym and by no means do bigger guys critisize they understand at a time that they were small and smaller people dont use as hevvy weights

The other day I was at the gym and was working in with someone on a machine and he was shocked at the weight I used ovbiously looked very light for my size I then explained its all about contraction and not x amount of weight and swinging and jerking

A few times and youll get the feel of the place, meet new people get to know all the regulars and all will fit into place it just takes time

7. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

I used to be VERY self concious in the gym and still am to a degree but i will train in hoodies and take it off with vest on briefly now to check out how im looking. If cut though i would happily strip down to my boxers to check condition and do some posing

8. uFaro

uFaro Well-Known Member

I got told off yesterday mate because l wasnt happy with my DB bench, l felt it wasnt enough weight, so it doesnt end there !

9. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Why would I be self conscious?

I'm fcuking hench

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

In all seriousness though, the guys in my gym couldn't give a chuff about who else is in there, and what they're lifting. Chances are your place will be the same.
      There are loads of reasons why people could be lifting lighter weights, rehabbing after injury is one of the most common, doesn't mean the person lifting them is weak though.

You'll be fine bud, it isn't an issue. Just get in there, lift as heavy as you can, and enjoy it.

Tags: