• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Refreezing thawed chicken

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raleoxilevz, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Got a bit of a problem here!

Decided to give one of the chinese supermarkets by me a go for chicken fillets. Anyway I told him what I was after and he took me out back to show me the box. Opened one and the chickens although frozen seemed to be separated. Bought one anyway and when I got home mine is a massive slab which can't be split up without defrosting!

Am I okay to defrost, separate and refreeze? I know some people say you shouldn't do this but what is that?

The box is too big to go in the fridge so I will just have to let it thaw at room temperature then just refreeze the fillets when i can pick them off!

Has anyone done this before? Am I going to die a horrible death? £27 for 10 kilos is pretty damn awesome!

2. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Refreezing thawed chicken

I think there is far too much worry around chicken and pork these days. It should be fine I would say, just don't let them fully defrost and cook thoroughly. Can always smell if a chicken is not right or on the turn.

3. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

I had this problem and cut them off with a saw lol

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

I have actually been considering this but my best knife is a piece of ****!

Think you are probably right phoenix. I like my chicken fairly well done so cooking it well should not be a problem. Still cant get over the price having being paying £8 a kilo in tescos for ages!

5. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

A chisel may be your best bet to push them apart. Wouldn't a saw just leave frosted chicken shavings everywhere?

6. 32chevy

32chevy Well-Known Member

use a fine hacksaw no problem! I do the same with pizzas if I only want half :(

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

A srewdriver and a hammer I'm thinking. I doubt if this thing will have defrosted by bedtime so I will have to do something about it! I understand this is the best way to pack in terms of space but not very handy for the customer!

8. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

somebody asked this question before and got an answer, cant remember the answer though lol all i can remember is they asked if u can refrost chicken after it defrosts which was quite amusing

9. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

You should be sound pal, ive worked in the food industry for a while and this type of stuff goes on all the time......but they'd never admit so...

10. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

WTF. You a fan of horror/slash movies by any chance? Any excuse to get the saw out. lol. Most people would generally cook the whol pizza and save some for the next day or 2.