• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Quitting Smoking: Effects on Cardio Performance?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by jailynn24hb, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I've been smoking for about 12 years, started when I was 20 in college...the last year or so I have really gotten into cardio, specifically running...obviously, as I am serious about running now, I am feeling more and more every day that the time to quit is here.

Quitting will be an adventure unto itself - but my question is, if I have been running regularly for a while and am in decent cardiovascular shape (able to run several miles without stopping) - will I be able to continue my cardio through the quitting process? I know that the first couple months after quitting the lungs are cleaning themselves out and regenerating, which can cause a lot of phlegm and congestion, and I'm wondering if it will majorly impact my runs...which would suck because the running is one of my, if not my biggest, motivators for quitting, as well as one of my biggest weapons in the battle to quit...

2. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Quitting Smoking: Effects on Cardio Performance?

I quit at the beginning of the year after smoking for nearly 30. Quitting only affected my cardio in a good way - ie: lung capacity got a helluva lot better as each day passed.
      Never had a situation where I had to stop because I was coughing or anything like that.

Do it. You can't lose.

3. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Awesome-thanks for the encouragement, man! And congrats to you. How's the quit going so far? I've tried a couple times in the past, but never took it very seriously and always caved after a week or so...but between all the many factors, general health, lungs, cancer, finances (I live in NYC too so a pack is about $13 now, f'in crazy), I'm also a singer/musician and have noticed my voice slowly degenerating the last few years...and on top of all that crap, I want to become a better runner, and you just CAN'T be a 'serious' runner if you smoke haha...plus I've lost a couple of girlfriends because I refused to quit...

At this point, it's sort of something I HAVE to do, if only to prove to myself that I CAN do it.

And thanks for your experience with the lungs/congestion...hoping I have similar results.

4. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

I had only smoked for 3 years and when I did cardio or played sports during that time I always felt like crap. Almost as soon as I quit I noticed a big difference and still do.
      The only thing I DID notice from quitting smoking was I wanted to eat more, When I smoked I felt like it really helped suppress my appetite (I guess this is why so many people gain weight when they stop smoking?)
      Good luck with the quitting!

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I quit a bit more then a month ago. My resting heart rate dropped about 15 to 20 beats a minute. Low 50's now was around 72. Was even higher when I started my cut. "cut"... by that I mean reducing the whale like shape I used to have.

6. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Thanks, dude! Really serious about it this time, so let's hope I can stick to it...to be honest, I'm amazed I've been doing so well with the running while continuing to smoke. Between smoking for 12 years, having asthma as a kid, and not having been cardiovascularly active in a long time - I went from not being able to do a half mile without stopping to going 5-6 miles at a time without stopping, over a relatively short amount of time...excited to see how much better I get when I finally ditch the cigs!

7. yesun

yesun Well-Known Member

I used to smoke socially and very lightly (maybe a pack every 2-3 weeks) and quit a few months ago. Even so, I've seen a world of improvement in how I feel. My lung capacity and my times in running and rowing have improved.

I also cut down my coffee by quite a bit, and the combination of these two has drastically improved just my overall alertness levels.

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Congrats! So you're still in the midst of the quit...how's the first month been?

My heart is another big factor for me - I don't have any major condition, was given all clear at physical last year, but over the past several years, I get a palpitation every now and then, very seldom, but still, scary...

9. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Awesome, great info, thanks! Yeah I smoke more than you did, more of a 'regular' smoker. About 15 cigs/day, a little less than a pack/day. So I'm expecting to notice some huge changes, as long as I can actually stick to it long enough to see the changes lol. Planning to give up coffee as well, because it's a big association for me - morning coffee with a smoke. Same with drinking, not going to give it up forever, but planning to avoid alcohol for a month, as much as I can at least.

10. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Quitting smoking was probably one of the best decisions of my life. I used the fact that I smoked as an excuse not to do cardio (i.e. 'what's the point? I smoke anyhow....). Lung capacity is much improved. It wasn't overnight.

The highlights:

Better lung capacity / cardio performance.
      More money in my pocket.
      Hands don't stink.
      Clothes don't stink.
      Breath doesn't stink.
      No more lung butter.

Your lungs cleaning themselves out will not hinder your running.