• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • PAst noob gains, no decent muscle, cutting

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by suighja, Feb 27, 2012.

1. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

So just a general question

What If your past the stage of noob gains, you don't have any decent muscle to keep, and your cutting. Is lifting weigts still beneficial If your in a deficit with your diet?

Seen a lot of people answer questions saying people have noob gains and to lift while also on a cut but, what if you have lifted weights for some years, but don't have good gains and want to cut. Are weights beneficial?

My gyms just been shut down so I really need to know if I should get my self a home gym with squat rack, bench, stuff like that.

Cheers!

2. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

PAst noob gains, no decent muscle, cutting

Last edited by beonlyyourself; Today at 09:42 AM.

3. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, try providing more information, maybe make it more precise. Your goal during a cut isn't to make gains... it's to maintain strength/lbm as much as possible. If you're done being a noob you will get few if any strength gains while on a cut... all gains on a cut are due to neural factors, not hypertrophy of any kind.

It sounds like you might be saying that you're no longer making gains prior to starting a cut. In that case you just need to eat more and deload for a week or so... but this doesn't make much sense as you say you "don't have any decent muscle to keep."

Anyway... you lift to keep your muscle. If you don't have much now, and you cut without lifting, you'll have even less and will look really skinny at the end of your cut.

4. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Thanks for quick reply mate.

I use to lift weights, but due to injury i lost most of my muscle , i have hardly no muscle now, but im fat. i want to get down to 11-15bf by august, im currently at 22-23%bf

But my gym has been closed down, so what i was wondering is, even thou i know im going to look skinny, i need to get this fat of me .. personal reasons, so im just wondering if i really need to find another gym, i dont have much muscle to maintain at all.

5. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

If your only goal is to lose fat... even at the expense of muscle, then no, you don't need to lift weights or find another gym. The only thing that matters if this is the goal is eating less than you burn. You actually don't even have to worry about how much protein you get or anything... literally calories in vs. calories out. You'll probably find it easier to lose the weight faster by doing cardio though. If you can do cardio easily/enjoyably without a gym, then by all means.

6. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

thanks mate, i love lifting weights, but the next gym is 10 miles away. I mountain bike nearly everyday, im in a deficit now of around 500-700 calories, the weight is coming of, i was just worried that i may have loose skin if i dont carry on lifting weights while cutting.

Cheers for all the help Will Rep

**Edit, when i reach my 11%bf goal, im going to clean bulk at around 200 cals surplus. the gym is opening just before Christmas under a new name.

7. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Last edited by beonlyyourself; Today at 09:57 AM. Reason: more info

8. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

NP. Loose skin is more a function of losing weight too fast. I'd imagine losing muscle would exacerbate it... but if you lost the weight slow enough it shouldn't be too too big a deal.

9. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Thank you mate! Appreciate it!!!

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I guess question one is what makes you think your past newb gains?

I ask because I kind of thought the same after lifting for a year and dieting down to drop some weight but when I started a proven strength program I was still very solidly in the beginner zone and my lifts rocketed up despite being around maintenance or even in a mild deficit until I got my bulking diet squared away.

If you can get to a gym and lift, seriously do it, it will be beneficial whether you are cutting or bulking. Give your program a serious look and check out one of the proven programs if you are not using one. You said "squat rack" which is a magic word and is a clue you are on the right track. 5'6 and 143 kind of tells me cutting down further may not give you the look you want and you might benefit from adding some lean mass at this point.

Reminds me, I have a chocolate bar I've been breaking chunks off of for the last two days. Good British chocolate with dairy milk is hard to get here. I think I'll snag a chunk.