• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • more than a 500 cal deficit.... don't do it!

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by defelqy, Apr 17, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I am on a mission to get to 5% body fat. and its been an interesting ride thus far. Started at around 17% body fat now at 7% body fat. I tried all kinds of weight loss methods carb cycling, fasting, counting calories, lean gains and low carbs... all have worked quite well. Counting calories and intermitting fasting were the methods that worked best for me. At 10% body fat I decided to lower my calorie intake to an 800 calorie deficit thinking that I would shed the last few pounds at a faster rate. well the exact opposite happened I started craving food and after 3 weeks I caved in and had 4 binges in 2 weeks gaining 7 pounds of water weight! man was I upset so thinking that I would solve this and burn the calories off I decided to start sprinting each time I binged this became a vicious circle! I lowered my calorie deficit even more! My mind and body felt depleted... had to find a way out of this, so I took a step back listened to the advise of some people in my gym and on these forums. recalculated my maintenance calories intake ate at a 500 calorie deficit.... back on track feeling good again no more food cravings and the weight loss has begun again.

for those of you about to try and do a larger deficit than 500 cals I would think twice about it. it can cause a downward spiral.. losing weight and getting ripped should be a slow but steady process...

what are some of your experiences when going below a 500 deficit? Did you manage to keep at it for extended periods of time? were you feeling good or bad? I know how I felt would love to hear some of your stories....

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

more than a 500 cal deficit.... don't do it!

There's nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts and experiences, but your advice is as broscienced as it gets.

I mean, consider what you're saying, when comparing you to a 300 lb 45 % bf, 23 year old male. These threads are part of the myth spreading, and thus I object.

If you'd have asked the question a bit smarter, along the lines of "Help needed for breaking the 5% barrier", a proper discussion could be the result. Based on the words you chose, I strongly expect the opposite. I hope I'm proven wrong, though.

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Are you planning on competing? If not, why would you want to get to 5% body fat? You'd feel very, very, very weak and you would be in a potentially life threatening situation if you caught as much as the flu or even a bad cold.

4. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Such garbage...done RFL many times and had great results. 2k deficit a day...I would just follow Lyle's guidelines for the time of it.

"advice of some people in gym" = bros with tribal tattoos

5. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

I plan on competing next year... going to 5% body fat simply for a test run to see how hard it is to achieve... so far there have been a few bumps in the road but all were able to be overcome

what is bro science anyways?

6. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

It's simply (pejorative) slang that is used (mostly) in regard to bodybuilding where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

7. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

who is Lyle? got a link to the guidelines? I am always up for new info

8. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

OP: I wasn't surprised to see this post from you. I don't know why you continue to live this way, judging from your posts in the Eating Disorder thread. You have numerous problems that you need to fix before you plan on "competing".

"well I had my binge and I am mentally back on track hit my deficit yesterday with zero problems... and half way through today and I feel great. I am very strict 99% of the time... I now know I dont have a disorder... I raised my fats up these past two days as well as fiber.. stopped the peanut butter and bought peanuts.. feeling pretty strong again... I will plan my binge once a week... its true it i all about will power... I lost it for a few days but I am back...

Nothings tastes better than a ripped core"

"wait a second..... is this considered a binge? One box of sugar free peak frean cookies and a ben and jerry's pint and chocolate bar? that is what I normally eat during a binge I can stop after that and pretty much and go back to my regular lifestyle... is this unhealthy though in all honesty? I normally dont feel depressed after. I kind of laugh about it to myself.... this "bingeing: has gone on pretty much the same for the last 1.7 years.....
      recently I started doing crazy cardio and my hunger/bingeing has increased maybe I should listen to some of you on these forums and eat at my maintenance for 2 weeks..."

"Planning to eat a pint of ice cream and a few large cookies and maybe a chiken burger and fries .....does this sound like a binge? i have no idea what a binge consists of.... maybe I have cheat meal and binge mixed up? what is considered to be a binge? thanks...."

OP: Please seek professional help

9. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

^^uh-oh.

10. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

My experience with a 1k cal deficit: felt bad most of the times, sluggish and tired, lazy and always finding excuses not to do something/going out/whatnot. I'm back at a -700 cal/die deficit, it seems to be always cheating. Today I'm just eating at -1100...to remember how it feels like.

Tags: