• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • low carb protein bar

Discussion in 'Anabolic Zone' started by masoven4u, Sep 10, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

would love to know if anyone has come across a genuinely low carb/high protein bar, been looking but haven't come across a low carb one with a decent amount of protein ?

thanks

2. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

There has been a load of bars released with ropey claims about some carbs being indigestible and the makers not counting these carbs in the nutritional breakdown but I think that's been stopped now.

I think any genuine low carb bar will taste rotten, you'd be better off with beef jerky, chicken on a stick or eating a bar you like and 40 minutes cardio!

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

I have to agree with Extreme. I used to work for a clinic that sold "low carb high protein" bars... But seriously, they give you terrible digestive problems, and that was everyone not just me, the other ingredients were unpronouncable!! Better off sticking to food, shakes, or what about having a go at making your own in a big batch? At least you know what's in them!

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

thanks for the replies, i already make my own low carb/high protein pancakes that taste great so i thought it would really be within the realms of possibility for some of these big companies to produce a bar with similar macros ? perhaps not ?

just wanted something convenient to stick in my pocket sometimes when out and about, will look at some other alternatives though

thanks

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

just make your own a wrap a bit in tin foil when your out and about

it's amazing what you can do wi some extreme mass and some oats!

6. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

A lot of the the big American brands use the terms "Impact Carbs" on bars. I hadn't realised they'd cut back on that sort of thing like Extreme says.

Most of the ingredients tend to be the sort of things I work with on a day to day basis, either sugar based alcohols with bonds that can't be digested or other glucose molecules attached to fibre chains, again your body won't digest these things. However the bacteria in your colon will be able to digest these compounds and like Elle say's can result in stomach upsets and bloating. I doubt a lot of these compounds have actually had enough testing also to revile the true effect on your colonic ecosystem, since most products that were potentially non-harmful can be transformed into harmful products here. I'd try to avoid these sorts of bars in favour of ones that contain more natural ingredients.

If you make your own then that's great Spag. Elle has loads of great recipes you should check out, for low carb high protein snacks and meals in her section. If you want to make a low carb protein bar though I suggest one thing you could do is increase the fibre content in your bar. Try using things like bran and barley flour to bulk out your bars.

7. jailynn24hb

low carb protein bar

thanks again, i use psyllium husk in my pancakes to bulk them up a bit and add fibre, will check out some recipes though, tbh would like to stay away from oats,bran,etc as i low carb to control my diabetes

these were recommended to me on the low carb diabetic forum i visit, 22g of carbs ( 2g net ) still a bit confused by this net carb thing, reasonable amount of protein, is this the kind of thing i should be avoiding or do they look ok ?
      someone else on that forum recommended biltong air dried beef, don't know if this is available in the uk though, anyone tried this before ?

cheers

8. jailynn24hb

low carb protein bar

I haven't created a bar that can be carried about yet, so I will set to work on it tomorrow as I'm writing a recipe book and I've been slacking! I'll post it here tomorrow, Doug you may have to be official taster!!

9. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

Carbs definitely play a role in the taste of the bar and most of the low carb ones have the hidden carbs which if your doing a low carb diet probably isn't helpful.

Almond flour is a good alternative when cooking and high in fibre and can be made using a coffee grinder.

Beef jerky is good but is pretty expensive at about £2 a pack

10. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

low carb protein bar

has anyone tried a bar using coconut flour ? could be pretty tasty i reckon, ellemac have you used coconut flour in any of your recipes ?

thanks