• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Liz's Journey from Flabby to Pure Bada$$ery

Discussion in 'Online Journals' started by casse, Feb 21, 2012.

1. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Hi all! I just wanted to go ahead and start my journal thread.

My journey began in December of 2010 when at 5'8" I was tipping the scales at 218 lbs. BMI was 33.1. Body fat: 42%. I felt horrible. Looked horrible. Was wearing size 18W pants and 1X shirts and filling out every inch of them. Enough was enough.

As of February 2012, I'm down to 182 lbs, BMI is 27.7. Body fat: 31%. Size 14 pants, XL tops (big boobies be damned)

I'm starting this journal from this standpoint and will do my best to report in weekly.

I'm hoping to hit my goal weight of 152 lbs, BMI of 23. Body fat: 18% or less by the end of 2012 (ideally before September as I have a wedding to attend and would love to be fit and amazing for that).

Nutritionally:

Daily calorie intake: 1530
      Protein: 40% - 151g
      Carbs: 30% - 113g
      Fats: 30% - 50g (though I am way under most of the time on this)
      Sodium: limited to no more than 2,500mg per day, but I shoot for less than 1,500mg per day

Current strength situation:

Squat: 95 lbs (x8 in 4 sets) (max squat 135 lbs)
      Standing Calf raises: 140 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Abdominal machines: 70 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Lateral pull: 80 lb (x8 in 4 sets)
      Romanian deadlift: 125 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Lateral raises: 20 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Bicep curl: 25 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Tricep dips on bench: 40 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Shrugs: 40 lbs in each arm (x8 in 4 sets)
      Chest press: 50 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)
      Back press: 80 lbs (x8 in 4 sets)

Total weight lost to date: 36 lbs.

My ultimate goal is to be strong and fit, though I've not clarified my specific strength goals yet.

Please feel free to offer suggestions and advice, however, I only ask that you be friendly and cordial. I'm open to learning and not afraid to bust my butt.

2. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Liz's Journey from Flabby to Pure Bada$$ery

Last edited by Mathspiffy; 02-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.

3. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Post lifting day update.

Squatted 135 yesterday (x1) and 95 (x8 in 4 sets). Glutes, hammies, quads, inner adductors are BURNING, but I hit my macros again today and stayed under my calorie limit. Had trouble with 135 squats yesterday so decided to drop the weight down and go lighter so I could maintain my form better.

Can't believe how strong I am. I had no idea I could do this just starting out, and I can't wait to push myself to see how strong I can get. Feelin' like a badass (except when I try to climb stairs today with my quads on fire). Upper arms are still woefully weak, so I'm going to continue focusing lots of attention there.

Going to shoot for lat pulls at 90 tomorrow. Tried at 80 last week and thinking it was a little too light for me. I did 12 reps fairly easily so I'm going to go for 90 this week.

Shooting for being able to do 10 pullups by the end of April. Ambitious? Yes. Doable? maybe. I'll be happy with just one good one.

4. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Last edited by Mathspiffy; 02-22-2012 at 08:11 PM.

5. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Was supposed to go lift today, but my legs are still very sore (having trouble walking).

Will hit gym hard tomorrow.

Stuck my macros today again (YAY). Small victories = big changes.

6. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Hit the gym again today. 20 mins on stationary bike to warm up.

Legs still sore but decided to push through it.

Did DL at 90 today (x8 in 4 sets).
      Squatted 95 parallel (not ATG this time) (x8 in 4 sets)
      Maxed out standing calf raise at 180 lbs finally YAY! (x8 in 4 sets) - NOTE: guy standing behind me gave me the "thumbs up" for this one hehe... Felt really nice to have support
      Abs not maxed yet at 80 lbs on ab machine. Did 80lbs x8 in 4 sets with 2 min break between sets. I can do more, but I was running out of steam by the time I got to it.
      Tried 90 lbs on lat pulls, and couldn't do it. Looks like 80 is my max right now (sadface... was hoping to do more on these).
      Legpressed 190 (not my max)
      Shrugs at 35 lbs (probably max, but I might try for 40 next week just to see)

Having some trouble with my upper body work. Curled 20 lbs on Sunday (x8 in 4 sets - definitely my max weight for this exercise), but could barely do 15 lbs today. I think I need more downtime between arm workouts.

Food is good. Sucking down protein shake at the moment.

Side note: Feeling a little upset about the way I look at the gym. I'm the only woman lifting more than 10 lbs in my gym, and though I am pretty strong (happy with that), I just don't look it yet. So much fat to burn off. Thighs rubbing a lot, and they look bad in my yoga pants. Feeling a little down today. I really hate mirrors. Gym scale has me 9 lbs heavier than my home scale also. I know I shouldn't care, but I worked so hard to get down this far, and it's depressing seeing 191 on any scale again. I'm 182 at home still.

7. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

First thing is to remember that strength will vary based off nutrition the day previous to lifting, muscle fatigue and overal fatigue from not resting. For best continuous strength gains, you need 72 hours between muscle groups worked. So if you worked legs on Monday, you should wait until Thursday to work them again. People who are training comptetively use BCAAs/Glutamine to help with quicker recovery times because they can't afford to wait 72 hours. Is it necessary for you, no, I don't believe so.

Next, STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF AT THE GYM! You're most likely doing so middle to end of the day, after drinking water/coffee/tea/etc and eating, and you're most likely in clothes. Clothes alone can add 2-3 lbs and every scale is different. If you insist on doing it, look at it from a standpoint of week to week from your home scale and from your gym scale and make sure the weight and weight loss is remaining consistent. Don't look at it from a standpoint that "OMG I've gained 9 lbs in less than a day".

You are making solid, consistent progress and improvements, Liz, and that's the most important thing to remember. Weight loss, weight gain, strength gain and muscle gain take a long time. Those men and women who are lean and muscular worked hard to get to that physique and continue working hard every day to maintain. You will get to where you want to be, and you will do so in a very healthy, maintainable way.

And any time you're getting down on how you look, take a new picture and put it side-by-side with your starting picture. Trust me, you're doing great!

8. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

Thank you so much adrenjunky34! I promise to NOT weigh myself at the gym again!

9. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

I agree with the above! ALL scales are different, if you're going to use 1 stick with that 1, so either use the home or the gym. Also if you can try to weigh yourself around the same time of day because as was stated above, if you do mid day you will have been eating and drinking, but if that's when you can weigh yourself at least do it there consistently so the variables are the same. I've weighed myself throughout the day just to see and I always weigh in highest in the middle of the day and lowest first thing in the morning (and let me tell you from first thing in the morning to after breakfast, getting into heavier clothes and downing some water there is a 2-3 lb difference!) Definitely be proud of being strong, because being strong is going to get you where you want to go and all those women in the gym who just keep lifting 10's day in and day out aren't going to see a heck of a lot of change and you will!

Edited to add...I'm sub'd in now by the way! Can't wait to see what you are capable of in the days, weeks, months to come!

10. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Yeah, I normally weigh every morning (after morning... um... facilities use.... shall we say and in my birthday suit, so I'm sure at least 5 lbs of it was clothing and water intake).

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me to know I have great people like you rooting for me.

Agreed: strong is AWESOME.

Looking forward to more posts from you, and thank you again