• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Lift First Thing in the Morning

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by baletki, May 14, 2012.

1. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm concerned about meal timing if I were to wake up and almost immediately go to the gym.

I'm considering lifting first thing in the morning to avoid gym traffic and because a lot of top bodybuilders recommend it. I'm willing to wake up earlier to work out, but I can't wake up early enough to eat a meal and have it digest for an hour or so. I'd fall asleep in that hour for sure.

So my question is: Will I be able to have a productive workout if all I consume first thing in the morning is a protein shake? Perhaps some sort of carb loaded drink as well?

Unfortunately, I can't force myself to eat significant amounts of solid food first thing in the morning. What do people usually do about meals when they work out first thing in the morning?

Thanks.

2. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Lift First Thing in the Morning

Found the issue. Don't be.

Eat whenever you're most comfortable so long as you hit your macro/micro needs.

3. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

4. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Personally in terms of workouts, yes I like to eat some carbs before.
      In regards to body composition and overall cal intake on the day, doesn't matter all that much when what is eaten (i.e., "post-workout nutrition").

In terms of having productive workouts, personally I have better workouts when I have had carbs in my system during the day. I've tried fasted training and although many others excel at it, I prefer not to. I usually find myself plateauing. Because of this I do believe in "fueling my workout" so to speak.

At the very least, I have 1/2 to 3/4 cup of oats with maybe a half banana in my system an hour prior to me lifting. Maybe some carbs intra-workout as well. After the workout and throughout the rest of my day, whatever foods that I like to eat that fits my intake needs.

If you choose to do carbs prior, maybe some blended oats in the shake can help.

EDIT: Or if you can stomach fruit or fruit juice in the morning......maybe a blended banana and/or other fruit with the shake, or store bought Orange Juice which is typically pretty carb/sugar loaded.

5. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Last edited by k9pit; Today at 12:30 PM.

6. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Been training at 3:00am, 5-6 days a week, for basically 8 plus years. I have nothing but coffee pre-workout.

Maybe have something light to get you going - fruit, yogurt, milk, etc.. if you need something pre-workout. Could also try training fasted. See what works best for you.

7. jailynn24hb

try a pint of 2 of milk maybe??

8. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Been working out first thing in the morning at 5am for the last 3 or 4 years now, nothing prior. Some folks enjoy fasted workouts and I count myself amoung them.

9. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, reps to as many people as I can afford.

10. jailynn24hb

bananas are amazing for this type of situation.
      I used to eat dry toast pre workout in a morning. some people just can't manage that.

though for me it was probably more psychological.