• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • is it worth getting a food scale?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by jailynn24hb, Apr 16, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Doing an iifym slow bulk, and its pretty easy counting the calories for most food that can be measured by volume, or if it has the nutrition right on the label and i can easily count the servings.

But often times i find myself guessing about how much meat ans other things like that weigh. Usually what i do is jusf take the total net weight of the product and try to divide it into visibly similar portions, then calculate from there.

So say i bought a pound of ground beef, i just form 3 burger patties that look about the same size, and i just count each one as 5.33 ounces.

Also there are things like fruit. I count every apple or banana as one "large" piece... however theres no way for me to know the exact weight or size.

I know that at most i'm never that far off since my weight gain has been consistent for the most part... but just wondering if it would be a good idea to get one, and any recommendations on certain brands, since there are times i do come up short of my goal. I think the problem i have is i tend to overestimate when i need to guess weight of food.

2. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

is it worth getting a food scale?

If you're planning on entering a bodybuilding competition, then you probably should get a food scale.

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

A food scale is less than $20. How much do you spend on useless things?

5. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

^^^ This.

If not, I'd say just eye-ball. I unfortunately bought one when I was around 15-16 and became obsessive with weighing EVERYTHING. I pretty much have
      everything memorized now *sigh*.

6. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I was concerned the food scale could be an excuse for obsessive conduct because the OP stated:

7. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Quite a bit... you've got to see my Steam game library... I'll never get around to playing half of them... damn summer sale.

Anyway, i know there were cheap ones below 20 bucks, but i always though they were just that... cheap. But i see the one posted above has hundreds of good reviews... i just dont want the scale to be giving me innacurate numbers.

And no plans to do bb competitions, but it could be possible in the future.

So the inexpensive ones are fairly accurate? If so I'll get one. I just didnt want to spend over 100...

8. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I love it and use a food scale all the time. Get a digital one it's so easy and nice to know what you are eating meat wise especially.

9. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

They are nice and rather inexpensive. They can help you get an idea of what actual portions are since most people tend to be very wrong from my experience. For example, many cereals have serving sizes around 28-32g (~1oz) and that represents about 1/2 or less of what a normal person eats when they eat cereal. Once you have an idea of proper portions/servings, you can eyeball everything effectively enough.

They can also be useful for cooking things where being accurate can make a fairly big difference like baking.

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Best wedding gift that I got. Use it every day.

Tags: