• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • how do people squat so heavy?

Discussion in 'Training' started by defelqy, May 16, 2012.

1. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I've always had weak legs since i never did any sport nor did i ever work out.
      Typical ex indoor gamer or couch potato.
      Anyways since i started working out with my routine, i started doing squats but even after 3 sets of 20 weightless squats, my legs lose all feeling and i can barely walk.
      Also i start to sweat like crazy which is what i normally do at exercises i have trouble with.

I know the more you train the stronger you get but when i read about people doing 200 lbs squats, i can't imagen me doing that ever.
      Seriously 20 weightless squats of 3 sets and im dead.
      Any ideas how to get better?
      Also how long should i do weightless ones until i should start using a barbell or dumbbells?
      Like how many sets and reps should i be capable of doing without toomuch trouble?
      Thanks

2. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

how do people squat so heavy?

u should start doing barbell squats right now...ready....go

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

The idea rep range is 3-4 sets of 8-12.

So do that with the weightless until you get do more then 12, then add 5 pounds.

Hope I helped a bit.

4. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

You answered your own question, which is to keep working on it and you'll progress, especially since you're a newbie.

What is your gender, height, and weight? Most people are able to barbell squat just the bar. Have you tried that while focus on good form?

5. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

i bet op could put 135 on his back and squat with no problem

6. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

You should be able to do bodyweight squats naturally! If you cant then your legs are really not capable of supporting your legs!

If i was you I would do 4 sets of 10-15 reps of squats 3 or 4 times a week! Try using a chair and touch your bum on it just as if you was about to sit down but DONT and get up using your legs its important you dont use momentum and do the exercise slowly and comfortably! Once you feel comfortable and you have mastered the general technique of a squat when you feel comfortable add a barbell and then over the weeks keep adding those weights to the barbell

7. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Yes.

Continue to weight train using progression.

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Male, 5.6 ,132 lbs. skinny fat and new to the gym but dedicated to make a change.
      Doing a full body split, 4 times a week and bulking 500 calories surplus a day, gained about 2 pounds last month of lean muscle.
      I read that exercises like squats for the legs work better if you do higher rep range between 12-20.
      That's why i didn't try the barbell yet because i can't feel my legs at 3x20 weightless ones so with a barbell i wouldn't even come close.
      Is it necessary to switch to barbell already and only get maybe 3 sets of 5 reps out instead and progressively up the reps with barbell than with weight.
      Or should i do more weightless squats until i can do sets of 40 without much problem and then switch to weights?
      Thanks.

Right now i do weightless squats till thighs are paralel to the floor with heels on a book as illustrated in The education of a bodybuilder.

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Last edited by davesterrr; Today at 09:50 AM.

10. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Time and pressure.