• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • High blood pressure - now what?

Discussion in 'Anabolic Zone' started by fa2nzg, Jul 3, 2012.

1. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Had my blood pressure taken for the 1st time today as i've been feeling quite off lately. The reading came back as 161/112 which is quite high. I haven't suffered with HBP in the past so it's definately the test. I'm taking adex 0.5 3x a week, have a clean diet, don't smoke or drink. Is there anything else i could do or should i really be looking at coming off a.s.a.p?

2. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

High blood pressure - now what?

Tried hawthorn berry supps?
      I read they are good for blood pressure...

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Would give them a go, doubt it could get that reading down by much tough.

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Well the obvious is to look at sodium in diet and amke sure it's not too high... and as an adjunct to that to also look at potassium levels and make sure you reach RDA everyday (I'd be willing to bet that about 90% of people with primary hypertension/high BP don't get enough potassium).

I'd also look at dietary things which help - other than foods high in potassium (bananas, spinach, potatoes, chard, lentils, papaya, sun dried tomatoes etc), hibiscus teas and celery also have phytonutrients which lower BP... then there are herbal supps like hawthorn berry extract and amino acids like arginine which can all help as part of a plan. Foods with magnesium also important.

Lowering dietary saturated fat (if high) can also reduce BP, as can making sure omega 3 levels are high enough within your PUFA intake.... and finally reduce calorie intake as BP is always higher when food intake is higher, and learn to relax to lessen those stress hormones that cause narrowing of the blood vessels (adrenaline, cortisol etc).... loads of small things that you can do that add up nicely.

5. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

All of this, excellent info, I also had and have personal experience with beetroot juice. It lowered by BP when mine went up.

6. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Celery also brings it down quite quickly

7. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Sounds good, most of those i'm doing now but as mentioned i'd say my potassium levels are pretty low. Will get some of those foods right away and see how that goes.

Cheers.

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I''ll get some of the above montioned thing from holland and barrett tomorrow.

How quickly could these work in getting the readings down?

Also, would going on blood pressure tablets for the remainder of the cycle possibly work without ill effects?

9. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

For what its worth RS had soem BP issues and I nagged him into adding in some potassium foods and it helped him... and in my case I have BP that's right on the borderline of being almost too low (although my GP thinks its wonderful, lol), and I have to watch my intake of potassium... if I go over RDA I get dizzy and experience low blood pressure feinting... potassium is so important a regulator of BP (equally important to sodium) but far less talked about... changing levels of intake can often have a profound effect.

10. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Well each is fairly mild on its own, and also we are talking natural substances that aren't likely to have any kind of negative contraindication or reaction. The herbals tend to take time to work, changes in fatty acids a few weeks but mineral intake fairly quickly for a small reduction... if I want to feel feint this evening with low BP everytime I stand up, if I go and make my next two meals based around high potassium foods that will do the trick for me guaranteed!