• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Have I hit one of the famous "plateaus"?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by remstation, Jul 26, 2012.

1. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

To give you a quick breakdown. I started cutting in February this year, I adjusted my calories according between about 2000 calories to 1800 calories a day, and was losing 2 lbs of pretty much all fat, for 10 weeks solid. Every week was the same, 2lbs lost. I was also off work for most of that time. I went from 206lbs down to 186 lbs in that time.

I then got a job in The Middle East for 3 months, Although I didn't put on a single pound out there, I only maintained, but I was drinking alcohol 2-3 nights a week and also eating a lot of junk food, for ease. Was still training hard though.

I got back 6 weeks ago and although I have still been still training, the diet and drinking were still off the boil for the first 3 weeks.

I've been back on a strict 1850 calories diet for 3 weeks solid now and on top of that I'm also back at work, and have a fairly highly active job. I have not lost a single pound in 3 weeks, not even an ounce, I'm exactly 186.

Last week I wore a heart rate monitor, for 7 straight days 24 hours a day, to measure my calorie expenditure, on a weekly average, I am burning 3500 calories a day, according to the heart rate monitor! So why am I not losing on a 1850 calorie diet?

Anyone got any ideas?

2. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Have I hit one of the famous "plateaus"?

Heart rate monitors won't give you an accurate measurement of calorie expenditure, sadly.

If you're sure you're eating the desired amount of calories for x amount of weight loss over a period of time, keep eating it. Ignore plateaus.

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm aware of that, But give or take 15%, I'm still burning a lot of calories. No?

So you don't think I should drop a couple of hundred calories a day?

4. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

I'd add in cardio before dropping more calories. At your height and weight, your energy levels will plummet if you lower any further at this point.

For what it's worth, having done an extended cut (12 months plus) plateaus are more mental than physical. Any number of factors can contribute to why you're not seeing the scale budge. Water weight is a common one, along with what you had for breakfast 3 days ago still going through your system.

Personally I find weighing myself once a month suffices. Aiming for around 4-5lbs per month. There have been times where I have not dropped a pound for weeks, only for the scale to balance itself out eventually. Excessive weighing yourself will likely lead to paranoia.

5. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Post your food diary, maybe we can help

6. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

I do cardio 6 mornings a week, set my alarm for 5AM and do a very fast paced walk for 30 minutes. I then go to work and I'm active for 7 hours a day and I weight train 5 times a week. Upper/Lower split.

I'm not paranoid about it at all, just curious to see why what was working before, is not working now, even with 7 hours of work thrown in a day!! That I wasn't doing before.

7. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

If you think you hit a road block take a Fat burning supp to help get you past this

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Ok an average day is

9:30am 300g chicken, salad, pitta bread.

1:00pm, chicken breast & broccoli

4:00pm chicken breast & broccoli

6:00pm(pre gym) A 50/50 carb/protein shake

8:00pm(post gym) fish, chicken or steak with a little brown rice and veg/salad.

10:00pm protein shake with skimmed milk.

I also drink a bucket load of water and Green Tea throughout the day!

I'm aware that it's not the most varied diet, but its extremely easy to maintain and....I like chicken. Again I'm not purposely trying the 'little and often" method, it's just what I find the easier and most comfortable to maintain. I tried IF and didn't like it.

I also supplement, with flaxseed oil, multi vit, glucosimine and use Jack3d before training.

9. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I was lead to believe on this very forum, that they're a waste of time and money?

10. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

how many cals did you maintain on before you went back to 1850 cals?