• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Has IF caused me to lose muscle?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by jailynn24hb, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just started Intermittent Fasting a little over a week ago. I've been doing 18 hour fasts daily, and I've been eating at at least maintenance every day. I haven't had a chance to weigh myself since I started until today, and I was 5 pounds lighter. I know for a fact that I haven't lost 5lbs of fat that quickly. I'm more or less just doing this to stay lean through my bulk. I've been on a constant habit of drinking at least a gallon of water a day, so, I don't think it's water weight, so, I'm worried that the 5 pounds I lost could mainly be muscle. I'm aware that weight fluctuates a couple pounds on a regular basis, but, 5lbs lighter in a week just doesn't seem right, especially since I've kept everything constant.

Anyone have any advice, or an explanation of what may have caused this?

I know I don't have much to offer as far as reps go, and I'm on spread, but, I'd really appreciate it if somebody could help me out. I'm hoping I haven't loss progress in my bulk..

2. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Has IF caused me to lose muscle?

bump

3. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

1. in order to bulk you have to eat more than your maintenance, if you've lost weight then you've been burning more than your intake.

2. Whoever told you that IF in some way aids you in staying lean while bulking over a traditional diet, they lied. Its just a function of personal preference.

4. herunder88

For the most part I have been eating over maintenance, there was just a couple days where I didn't feel good, and I ate right at maintenance.

5. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Your claims of losing 5 lbs beg to differ.

6. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

I was 164.3 last week
      today I was 159.5
      I weighed myself in the middle of a workout, but, I didn't sweat very much, I don't know if that's a big factor or not.

Thanks for answering by the way.

7. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

you should know that your maintenance will change if your activity increases, if you've truely lost body mass and not just water weight, then you were in fact below your maintenance intake level...thats just the laws of thermodynamics

8. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

You think wrong

To lose 5lbs of weight you'd have to run a 500 calorie deficit every day for 5 weeks, and most of that weight lost will be fat.

Any time you change eating patterns you subject yourself to waterweight fluctuations. You haven't lost 5lbs, you were probably just carrying 5lbs more water before you changed your eating pattern.

9. herunder88

I would guess water weight. I started cutting two weeks ago at a modest deficit to lose about a pound a week and I dropped four pounds on the scale. In my experience I've found IF drops water weight quickly at first...even when bulking.

10. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

I went with IF for over two months and it worked wonders for me. I did make sure I hit my macros and I was able to make it work. I only lost about 5 lbs but all of my lifts went up and I look better. Wish I wouldve checked my bf before I started as I know I lowered it.

IF works, but you still gotta eat right. I'd recommend you take a look at your diet and make sure you're getting the protein you need. I lowered my carb intake weekly until I started losing energy in the gym, then brought it back up and found a happy medium. I was good at roughly a 30:40:30 ratio (carb: protein:fats).