• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Gyms are not the same anymore?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by parnassto, Aug 5, 2012.

1. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

I feel almost ashamed for posting in the Gen Section but at least its not about what colour chewing gum you prefer.

I watched Pumping Iron (again) - for those who don't know what it is check this if you have an hour to fill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdE1C6NaT5Q you can find parts 1 - 12 on here.

I then watched the making of Pumping Iron - that's here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkKbv5w3v4

Its great footage, even if some of it is 'staged' and set up but my point is you watch these guys train and I just don't think the average gym is anywhere like as fun a place as Golds Gym at that time (It may still be the same).

The majority of people in the gyms I have been to become hostile, walk around like they're missing two rolls of carpet, even the facial expressions are 'stay away' yet you check the links above and something I noticed is they all encouraged each other, it was fun to workout together, it was a buzz - what changed? Is your gym like that?

I have trained in multiple gyms and find people forget their manners, no please, no thanks - its as if people become cnuts as soon as they walk through the door.

I'd murder for a group of mates like these, that train hard, respect each other and enjoy it while getting top results.

2. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Gyms are not the same anymore?

I must be lucky with my gym, the stuffs worn, the paints peeling but everyone is pretty much a good crowd.

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

I feel lucky to train where I do. It's a small 'hardcore' gym. The equipment is so close together u feel like you're training with the guy next to u... And because of this, they're like extended family. We go to each others shows, support each other and give advice...

My point is, there ARE still gyms like that x

4. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I hoped would be out there. Just trying to make basic conversation with people, they lose all intelligence and just become unapproachable plebs. Not that I am there to make friends as such but a bit of banter and chat, letting on would be nice. Get some right alpha male wannabe wallies.

5. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

i joined a new gym couple weeks back as the other 1 was a bit of a pansy gym.this new 1 is pretty much the same as how queenie described.good bunch of lads n lasses in there.not very big premises but everything you need is in there.everyone chats and seems to get on and theres always a bit of banter going on.

6. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

however the david lloyds gym i belonged to a few years ago was full of far too serious people.straight faces everywhere apart from those gurning on the squat rack.no one talking to each other,apart from personal trainers talking to each other!!!

7. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

That's exactly how it should be x

8. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

My gym is a cvnts free-for-all, asked a lad to spot me earlier tonight (politely yet spoke with enthusiasm) he tutted and sighed and from the look on his face - begrudgingly spotted me, then he walked off without some much as making eye contact! We could of been friends but now I have my eye on that cvnt!

9. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

i love my gym , i know virtually everyone in there and i love to be in there training helping or just having a cuppa .. i feel this way when visiting Robroids gym, that its just me and him and everyone else seems a cnut (even though there are probably some decent lads) i like my home gym and nothing else compares , its not the best equipped by a long way but its mine and i feel at home there !!!

10. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

I train at a large, busy gym and it's generally pretty 50/50 with the attitudes. A lot of people have headphones on to focus and I think that takes away some of the social aspect of what you are on about. Normally I make the effort to actually talk to someone, they are mostly ok.

Tags: