• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • For those who go or have been to University...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jailynn24hb, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

What do/did you study?

How did you decide what to study?

Do you regret your decision?

[​IMG]

2. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

For those who go or have been to University...

I studied communications and computer systems. Decided to do it as computers were the only thing that interested me enough to make a career out of it. You have to have an interest in whatever you choose to do. I dont regret it at all. Uni life was awesome and now I am about to leave one job on £24k to go to another on £30k after just 2 and a half years doing the job. I have friends who studied crap like drama etc who work in starbucks. Choose wisely and look for a sector that will still be expanding and relevant in the future like medicine or IT.

3. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

90% of degrees are useless and will land you in severe debt for many years. Unless you do something that is saught-after or highly technical... Pointless...

Too many people with PHDs in art history or media studies serving fries.

4. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Only thing I was good at a school/college was things to do with computers and creative subjects like graphic design. I'd like a degree that looks good and will help me in the future!

Oh and I've always loved history but can't see how that would benefit me lol.

5. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

I did a BSc Business Management with honors which has inturn paved the way for me to do my ACCA to become a chartered accountant. I think it was worth the time and money because I learnt as much about myself and life as I did academically.

I agree there are too many Mickey Mouse degrees floating around, but they are soon weeded out in the recruitment process.

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. You have to choose carefully by assessing the jobs market and seeing what is likely to be doing good trade by the time your 3 years is up. LMan. If you want to do computer stuff I would advise to look into programming, communications or database related stuff. They pay the most money and will always be around. Hardware pays very little in comparison to software. I am a software engineer and I will always be able to find work so long as I stay current with which languages to learn. Web development also pays well but not as well as software engineering roles as they are much more complex.

7. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

How about more creative side of jobs? Like animation or something. I can imagine that being a tough industry though.
      I have been visiting my friends at uni and it's just making me regret my choice to go straight into work. It's a personal thing as well, like Ballin said.

What I worry about is that after Uni I'd be stuck in that sector (my chosen degree) for the majority of my life...

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Last edited by The L Man; Today at 11:57 AM.

9. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

My girlfriend did Media Studies.
      Enjoyed the uni experience but regrets her course choice as shes got a job working at a corner shop. No jobs around our area for her course

10. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

My best mate went to uni to do Chemistry the year I graduated- so he went when he was 22 and he cleared house there on naive 18 year olds. He graduated at 25 and walked straight into a good job.

Plus as a "mature student" you get loads of grants and stuff especially if you do a science based degree!

Tags: