• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • effects of not eating enough when cutting

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by baletki, Apr 1, 2012.

1. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

i am trying to lower my body fat from 19% so i can start bulking up. i am currently having 1700-200 calories a day and around 160-200g protein. i recently used a calorie maintenance calculator to work out what my maintenance level is and it is 3250. i am new to weightlifting but i train 5 -6 days a week. i am noticing gradual muscle gains over the last few months but no fat loss. someone told me i need to eat around 2700 calories in my cut if my maintenance level is 3250, but does that mean i will lose weight quicker by increasing my calorie intake? 3250 seems alot of calories but then again i am very new to all of this

any advice is appreciated!

2. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

effects of not eating enough when cutting

If you aren't losing weight you are eating too much not too little. You are miscalculating your consumption.

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Increasing your calories isn't going to help you lose fat.. that is absolutely counter-intuitive. With your stats 3250 seems pretty high for maintenance but you should still have a good deficit eating at 1700-2000 a day. Make sure you are accurately counting calories and Keep eating around 1700 cal's a day, maybe throw in some cardio to increase the deficit. You should notice some fat loss relatively soon.

4. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

i have calculated the calories from everything i eat and drink during the day though so it cannot be to inaccurate

5. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

How long have you been eating at 1700-2000 cal for?

6. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

for 9 weeks. i decided i want to lose some weight so i can bulk up my muscle mass without having so much fat , i changed my diet to 1700-2000 calories and starting lifting weights

7. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Based on your estimates you have been cutting at 2000 cal for 9 weeks, and at your estimated maintenance at 3250 that means a 1250 cal deficit everyday, which if you stick to it everyday, 8750 cals a week. In 9 weeks this would sum up to a total of 78750 calories. As a rule of thumb 3500 cal deficit should translate to 1lb of fat loss so if your numbers are correct you should have lost about 22lbs of fat. Of course this is a huge approximation but the point i'm trying to prove is that if your numbers are correct you should have lost a considerable amount of fat by now.

8. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

i know this is what worries me because i have looked at the packaging of everything i am eating in a day and working out the calories and my diet has not changed in the last 9 weeks what so ever i dont even have cheat meals becuase i want to do everything possible to make this work but its not happening for me and i dont know why. i dont know whether to try lowering my calorie intake even more but i struggle to maintain energy throughout the day on the amount i am having as it is what do you think?

9. unyende

unyende Well-Known Member

Do you mean you are following a fixed meal plan and no additions? Can you post it along with quantities?

10. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

yes pretty much a fixed meal plan id say my diet doesnt have much variety

meal 1 : (breakfast) 2 slices of brown bread 3 scrambled eggs whites

meal 2: whey protein shake, one banana OR apple

meal 3: wholemeal bagel with peanut butter

meal 4: (dinner) either lean steak OR two skinless chicken thighs OR a fillet of fish with 1 cup of brown rice and mixed vegetables

meal 5: (before bed) whey protein shake

the only supplements i take are whey protein, omega 3's green tea extract and a multivitamin