• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Cardio muscle loss?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by jailynn24hb, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

I like doing cardio and running 1 hour a day. The trainers at my gym say that running that long will burn muscle... I have heard from people online that you wont lose muscle durning cardio if your protein and macros are in check....

should I do hiit?

does long cardio sessions burn muscle? what are your experiences with cardio and muscle loss?

I am not doing cardio for fat loss I do it because I actually really like doing it.....

2. jailynn24hb

Cardio muscle loss?

I never run. I enjoy using HIIT instead a few times during the week.

3. jailynn24hb

Cardio muscle loss?

As long as you are not creating a massive deficit or eating inadequate protein your fine.

4. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

x2.

Just use some common sense. Book-ending a leg workout with some hiit probably isn't the best idea.

5. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

You have some awesome knowledge .... I want to find my exact maintenance number, and what a proper deficit should be. what is the best method... I used an online method where I simply put my weight and my height in. what is a more accurate method? I am also very active and burn at least 800 calories a day if not more

edit: I used the Harris-Benedict Equation calcuator the one where you just punch in the numbers..

6. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

Best method is using trial and error. Either meticulous record what you eat for a few weeks and monitor weight (then adjust). Or use a calculator as a starting point and meticulous record what you eat for a few weeks and monitor weight (then adjust).

7. emininojiq

emininojiq Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

Here's how it works: So long as you're getting your macros and not overtraining, yeh, you'll be fine. What happens is that usually the lower back and legs overtrain quickly with running. Think about this: You're running 4 days a week for an hour(lower back and legs take a pounding from all the bouncing), you train legs intensely, and you deadlift intensely on back day....this is a recipe for overtraining. This is when the body start going into HOLY **** mode, and is like "**** your muscle, bitch! I'm tryin' to survive here!" See where I'm goin' with this?....Also as you overtrain, your test levels will start dropping. Even worse if you ask me. Long story short. Feel free to run but make sure you're getting enough calories and protein, and make SURE sure you are recovering on the regular. If you're waking up feeling snapped up like a truck just hit you, then ya might wanna take an extra rest day. Hope this helps. Cheers

8. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

Yes this helps alot... I have been feeling pretty good.. when I get a bit soar/tired I take a day off of cardio and then I am back to it until I well tired again..

I am still a little confused at my calories... I have been having 1750 a day... and I feel pretty good.. not sure if I should have more? I burn 800 a day..

9. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

Honestly, the most accurate way is to take an educated guess on your caloric intake. (2000/Day) Eat that number for 1-2 weeks and measure the amount of weight lost. If it falls within 1-2 lbs/week keep you have it right. If not, make small adjustments till you are losing 1-2 lbs/week. You can also find your exact number with this method.

2000 * 7 = 14000/week
      3500 = 1lb fat
      If you lost 1 lb that would put your maintenance at 17500/week or 2500/day.

10. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

Cardio muscle loss?

x3 - as long as your running isn't getting in the way of your lower body strength training, you've got nothing to worry about.

The trainers at your gym are idiots.