• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Can anyone confirm this claim about how fish oil in high doses depletes Vit. E?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by masoven4u, Jul 9, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

Saw this thread on another section of BB.com (yes it is Misc, who cares).

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...43&daysprune=1

The guy is claiming that fish oil depletes Vit. E in high doses so you must take a Vit. E supplement every other day to counteract this.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm this claim about how fish oil in high doses depletes Vit. E?

I may have found the answer:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8317397

3. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Last edited by dr.manhattan; Today at 05:48 AM.

4. jailynn24hb

15 grams per day is a clinical dosage of fish oil (and a very high one at that), not a daily amount that should be taken without the guidance of a physician. The abstract doesn't give numbers, but I'd like to see just how much of a difference there was, and extrapolate the relative difference from a more realistic dosage.

5. jailynn24hb

You are correct. I couldn't find any other study about tocopherol or tocotreinol being depleted from fish oil though.

6. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Since your on the subject, im going to buy fish oil capsules in the next couple of days. Anything in perticular I should be looking for or do they all do the same thing. Also how much should I take a day and when are the best times to do so. Ive never taken it before and want to do it right. Thanks!

7. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Do a bit of research on specific brands. What you want to look for is very high EPA and DHA content to the actually amount of fish oil (i.e. if one pill contains 1000 mg of fish oil and it contains 50 mg of both EPA and DHA, that is not very good).

As a general rule of thumb, Carlson and Nordic Natural brands are very reputable and are not too bad price-wise, though can be expensive depending on the supplement you get.

I personally get Kirkland brand Fish Oil because the ratio isn't too bad and it is cheap and has been found to be good as far as their content claims (no PCBs).

I suggest you look around and decide if you want to cut costs. Many companies fukk around with their fish oil and it results in bad/contaminated products, so just be leery and do your research.

8. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

I suggest you search the threads in the supplement section, but here is a quick visual:

[​IMG]

In general, most reputable posters recommend athletes ingest a daily combined EPA/DHA of 2-3 GRAMS from all sources. So, if you don't get this from food sources, supplementation may be helpful.

9. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Gotcha, im going to be buying it in a pharmacy more than likely so Im hoping not to get robbed. Thanks for the answers I repped you both

10. jailynn24hb

Why? There are some high potency fish oil products available online, such as bb.com's high potency fish oil: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bo.../fish-oil.html

and CL Orange OxiMega, and NOW ultra omega 3