• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • bulking and fat gain

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by masoven4u, Sep 9, 2012.

1. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

so i was cutting for 17 or so weeks and got down to 1500 calories and 183lbs. i felt like i was getting too flat and needed more muscle to fill in loose skin. i am bulking now at 2400 calories with cheat meals on weekends. i feel like my stomach is growing back to being fat again. i dont feel as lean. should i lower cals? i didnt really increase like 200 cals a week gradually. shouldnt i be doing cardio 3x a week at 30 min? i feel so fat, but i am getting alot stronger and feel more swol.

2. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

Why should you be doing cardio 3x week?

And I doubt you can bulk on 2,400kcal. Any weight you feel you have gained is most likely water.

No need for cheat meals. Just fit them into your macros.

Oh, and 1,500kcal is ridiculously low calories and don't do it again.

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

i do feel bloated, but my stomach did get bigger. i was always prone to fat gain.

4. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

If you're thinking about doing cardio 3x a week in terms of fat burning then you'd be just as effective making the change in your diet. All you're doing when you do cardio is burning the calories that you've eaten off (same as adjusting your diet to not have those calories there in the first place, but never the less, will keep you more healthy).

I agree with Germaine on everything he said though.

Heres a formula to help you calculate your macros to ensure you're getting enough:

The very basic and most important rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories and 1 gram of fat = 9 calories.

That said, your diet is as good as made - nearly. You need to find your maintenance now. This means your caloric intake to maintain your current weight (not loosing, not gaining). Use any calculator you find on the web, punch in your details and take the number of calories it provides as your maintenance. This will not be accurate and you will most likely have to alter it.

Presumably the calculator gives you a spit-out number of 2,500 to maintain, you want to cut that by 300-500. (Same rule applies when you decide to bulk, only you're adding 300-500 calories to it).

Then what you do is focus on your protein and fat intake only, then fill the remaining calories with carbs to make up your deficit goal. To do this I suggest you do 1g protein per pound of bodyweight and .5g fat per pound of bodyweight.

So lets have a look at your maintenance, its 2,500 (as an example). Say we want to take 400 calories away from this. That leaves you with 2,100 as your deficit. Now we have to make up protein, fats and carbs to get (or close enough to) 2,100 calories. This is how its done for a 175lb man:

Protein: 1g x 175lb = 175g (175g x 4 = 700 cal)
      Fat: .5 x 175 = 87.5g (87.5g x 9 = 787 cal)
      Carb: 787+700 = 1487. 2,100 - 1487 = 613. 613/4 = 153g - (613 cal)

Total calories: 700+787+613 = 2100

Obviously, this won't be 100% accurate, so just monitor how your progress goes and if you're gaining too little/too much then tweak it by 100 calories here and there.

Goodluck mate.

5. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

You probably just need time to adjust. Going from 1,500 to 2,400 is going to be a shock to your body. Once your weight stabilizes you'll probably lose weight. 2,400kcal is not enough for a bulk unless you're a small female.

6. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

how can i find my maintenance if im cheating on the weekends and calories will go in surplus.

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

we sure no one can gain on 2400 calories if they weigh like 190. i feel so strong and those calories are plenty.

8. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

9. parnassto

parnassto Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

When I was 182lb I was losing weight eating 2,600kcal. And it is quite easy to gain strength while losing weight.

10. casse

casse Well-Known Member

bulking and fat gain

because if you step on the scale to see if you lose/gain weight, you wont know cause its not exact calories since your cheating

Tags: