• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • 'Best' Protein Supplement?

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by Qoelet, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

Hi guys,

I used to use a variety of protein supplements around two years ago and am looking to start using them again - but I'm a bit lost on what's available and on what the best prices are.

I *think* they made a difference last time but I wasn't controlling my diet as much. Now I'm more disciplined so want to give them a try again.

Ideally I'm looking for the leanest (min calories), highest protein value per serving I can find. My goal is to cut, try and lower my daily calorie intake and increase my protein and hopefully the right supplement can achieve that.

I'm based in the UK, if that makes a difference? I used to go into my local wellbeing store (Holland & Barrett) and literally look at the info on each tub they had in there and try several - is there a brand name I should go for, a leader in that respect?

I haven't even considered buying it online but am aware there's probably a cheap answer there - where are the best places I should be looking?

Thanks!

2. musclemad

musclemad Well-Known Member

My Protein are simply the best for protein supplements in the UK. I have shopped around online and they can't be beat for both price and quality. If you want maximum protein you should go for 100% whey protein, but it's more expensive. Their Impact Whey is 82% protein and good value. Go for the unflavoured option to reduce the price.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

Unflavoured option... gah. Mind you, I used to make smoothies quite often with my previous powder so that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Is there no clear leader on min-cal, max-protein powder? Or is it worth browsing around and trying a few out?

4. musclemad

You could flavour it with unsweetened cocoa powder if you like, that would be better than the artificial ingredients found in the flavoured protein powders.

100% whey has the least calories because there is nothing added, it's pure protein.

5. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

That's exactly what I'm after, I'm trying to cut for a few weeks before Christmas and while I do have a decent amount of protein each day I want to maintain that whatever I have (or don't have, as the case may be now) so am looking to a supplement that will do that.

I've actually had a look on Myprotein and 1kg of unflavoured is a very reasonable £13.99 which I'll definitely try. I'm just a bit weary about mixing it with water - I've always had flavoured ones which go fine with water, if I do use unflavoured and add cocoa powder it wouldn't dissolve well really with water and I'd have to use milk. Which is fine, I guess, it's just not as lean...

6. Bunnywithagun

Bunnywithagun Member

Depending on your needs you should go with a whey, and a casein or whey casein blend. For most protein powders the price will reflect the taste, mixability, and the brand. So do some experimenting and figure out what flavors suit you and go for it!

7. lalucien

lalucien Active Member

I like the diet maximuscle ( green tub) it has a very high protein content with very low fat content which is great for building lean muscle but, it also contains a few special ingredients like green tea which have fat burning qualities to aid in burning off excess fat which helps to 'cut up'
      I definitely recommend it if you want the muscle without the fat bulk.

8. musclemad

Fat is good for building muscle because it raises testosterone levels. Low-carb and high-fat is a better way to minimise fat gain because it raises insulin sensitivity. LCHF is the most effective diet for fat loss but you would need to add in some carbs to build muscle.

9. Sizzling

Sizzling Member

I've heard many people say that Creatine and Whey Protein is the way to go. Though I've never tried it myself, many of the people who tell me seem to be making good progress with the supplements.

10. lalucien

lalucien Active Member

My dad bought some pure egg protein this weekend which is meant to be really good cause it has a slow release of around 4-5 hours as opposed to 1-2 which is the average or most proteins shakes. The benefit is that the protein stay in your system longer feeding your muscles over a longer period of time which is especially good after a workout when your muscles want feeding the most.