• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Bench Press - How to work up to your 1RPM?

Discussion in 'For Personal Trainers' started by laxgoaliesrhs, Mar 3, 2012.

1. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what you guys think is the most efficient way of building up to your 1 rep max on the bench without getting to
      wasted from prior sets, yet still making sure that you are fully warmed up. My 1 rep max at the moment is 170kg but recently I've
      been failing on this weight here and there as I feel I may be too knackered from the sets I perform before it.

Here's how I build up to my max currently...

60kg - 20 reps
      60kg - 20 reps
      100kg - 10 reps
      120kg - 8 reps
      140kg - 6 reps
      160kg - 2 reps
      170kg - 1 rep

Does anyone feel I should maybe change this up a little bit?

2. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Bench Press - How to work up to your 1RPM?

LOL, my 1RM is 90kg. I tried 100kg tonight and couldn't move it an inch.

I was using this...

70kg - 5 reps
      75kg - 4 reps
      80kg - 3 reps
      85kg - 2 reps
      90kg - 1 rep

I somehow doubt that a n00b like me can help you out but you'll get more info soon!

3. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

The jumps between your weights are quite small and I've been reading that this is actually the best way to do it
      whilst keeping reps in the 3-5 range but I just need some advice from some of the more experienced lifters here.

4. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

I would definitly say your doing too much imo, especially the 140x6 and the 160x2 is too close to your max weight.

For a 170 bench for myself id do somthing like,

60x15
      80x10
      100x6
      120x4
      140x2
      170x1

I feel that would leave me warmed up enough for a big lift without draining too much strength, however if you feel you need more, do more. Also, if I dont feel right ill not bother with a big lift and do it another day. I think its important to liten to your body. I rarely ever do 1rm's though as theyre of no benifit other than gauging strength increase, which can be done with lighter, safer weight.

5. casse

casse Well-Known Member

Last edited by H22civic; 04-03-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Sp

6. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

mine is 110kg..

60kg x 8
      90kg x 5
      110kg x 1

cant see the point in doing millions of reps. Just slow controlled reps previously does fine for me

7. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Thanks for the useful advice mate.

I too feel that it may be the "140kg x 6" that is possibly draining me the most.

Your layout to work up to a 1RPM of 170kg looks good but the only thing that bothers me is that
      don't you think the jump from 140kg to 170kg may be a little too much? It's the only reason I do
      160kg before doing 170kg.

8. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Actually added a wee bit into my last post there about the 160 set but you got there too fast.lol

Imo if your going for a 170x1 your going to drain far too much strength by doing your set of 160x2. To the point you could end up failing a 170 you would otherwise have got.

The 140 to 170 jump feels ok for me but you could maybe change it for a rep or two with 150 if you felt it prepped you better for the 170. I wouldnt go over the 150 though.

9. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Cheers for that mate. I'll be trying this on Monday then. Hopefully it'll work a treat :)

I was getting 170kg comfortably a few months back but recently like I mentioned I seems to fail it
      here and there. Alway's seem to get 160kg for 2 comfortably though so I think you may be right about
      that set draining too much energy.

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

The other thing you maybe need to look at mate is doing too many low rep lifts too frequently. It sounds like your doing alot of 1&2 reps?

I find doing single or double lifts too often can drain me and my strength starts to drop. If thats the case with you mate, try switching up the rep ramges for a while. If im trying to gain strength I usually stick to a 5-3-1 routine so for my heavy sets ill be doing 5 weeks of 5 reps, 3 weeks of 3 reps and then finish with a double or a single week if I feel the need to gauge my strength. Then its back up to 5 reps and repeat. Really works well for me, ive never had to use any other sort of strength building routine.