• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Beginner - Weird Question... Am I Eating Enough?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss' started by krupnijihbc, Aug 29, 2012.

1. krupnijihbc

krupnijihbc Well-Known Member

To start off, I'm obese, trying to cut fat as fast as safely possible without
      losing muscle. I'm 4 weeks in. For the first 3 weeks, I was lifting with some
      dumbells at home following my own routine (also doing 30 minutes of low
      intensity cardio every day), which I quickly realized was garbage, so sought
      out a better, more proven routine. Started on the new lifting routine 1 week
      ago.

BODY STATS:
      Height = 5' 11"
      Weight = 318 lbs (fatass)
      Body Fat = 44% (Tanita scale I own hovers around this)

WORKOUT ROUTINE:
      Following All Pro's Beginner Routine, but substituted Leg Press instead of
      Squats as my knees are banged up. Also do not do the calf raises since
      I have a fracture in my right foot that flares up when I do them. Plus, my
      calves are huge already, lol. Hopefully this isn't hurting my progress too
      much...

DIET:
      Started with eating 1800-1900 calories per day, aiming to get around 175g
      protein and 60g fat. Seemed to work the first 2 weeks, as I dropped quickly
      from my starting weight of 333 lbs to my current weight of 318 lbs. I assumed
      majority of that was water weight.

Only problem is, now I've already stalled and I hover between 314 - 318 lbs
      for the past 2 weeks. That prompted me to start doing more research and
      something I came across was that I may not be eating enough? With that,
      I decided to up my calories to around 2600 and see what happens, but I don't
      want to shoot myself in the foot here, so I'm asking before I actually do that.

So, that's the point of this thread. Am I just being too impatient and 1800-
      1900 calories is perfect and I need to just give it more time - or should I up
      my calories to around 2600 per day.

Which one would I stand to expect better results with (without losing much
      muscle)?

Thanks in advance.

2. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Beginner - Weird Question... Am I Eating Enough?

Last edited by shamrockceo; Today at 10:38 PM.

3. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Also, I'm far too big to be able to eyeball and see any changes
      that way be there in the mirror (trust me), I look 743 times a day...

lol

4. suighja

suighja Well-Known Member

Unless you have a naturally gifted metabolism I don't see you burning over 3000 a day even when that heavy. (Unless you workout and get your heart rate up every day)

If you're sedentary I think 1800 is fine, not sure why it stalled; mine never did. When I started I ate an average of 1100 calories which was way too low and it never stopped my weight loss.

I'd just eat 2000 calories a day and wait it out for a few more weeks and look at progress. You need to count accurately by weighing your foods and reading labels.

One more thing, this is going to be a very....very long road. I started at 230 and it's taken half a year and I'm not done... but almost... Never let the fact that it's far away make you give up, because then it's forever, not just far away.

Also to answer your question, naturally a lower calorie diet is going to give you more weight loss than a higher one. Too low or not.

5. baletki

baletki Well-Known Member

Last edited by moore93; Today at 10:28 PM.

6. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

Hmm, thanks. Yeah, I don't think I have a naturally gifted metabolism, simply because I'm where I'm at. Also, I am sedentary. I own 2 internet companies, so I literally sit at the computer all day, other than when I'm at the gym.

7. masoven4u

masoven4u Well-Known Member

This isn't why you're fat. A user on here, Serpentarius, burns like 3200(I think, I believe he's bulking on 3700) and he came from obese just like you. Don't lie to yourself and blame things because you and me both know you ate crap to get to how you are. Unless you're one of those gems everyone basically has the same metabolism give or take a few hundred calories.

The only reason I'm ranting is because I'm getting a hint that you think your metabolism is part of the reason you're the way you are, it's not. Coming from someone who's been obese and isn't anymore I kind of get irritated when people blame this, you'll know exactly what I mean soon enough.

Side note: Some good motivational threads:
      http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hlight=treated
      http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=108359701 Part 1
      http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=140847501 Part 2

8. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

Last edited by moore93; Today at 10:38 PM.

9. clutas

clutas Well-Known Member

Oh, that's not what I meant, haha. My diet was 100% out of control. For example, about 1500 calories per day just in Mountain Dew to "fuel the late night coding sessions" - plus giving in to any and all cravings I had. So yeah, not trying to lie to myself here, I know what I've done. Just trying to figure out the best way out now.

10. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Forgive my harshness, I've just grown this pet peeve since losing the weight.