• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • army/military

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vijugati8g, Apr 27, 2012.

1. vijugati8g

vijugati8g Well-Known Member

Any guys here in the military! im having serious thoughts about joining an infantry not much in civvy street for me to be honest.!
      my parents arent happy i thought my mum and dad was ok with it until my mum started crying when i came home earlier with application forms and said the guy in the careers office was impressed with me and recons he could have me in there within two and a half months...
      i want to do it but i do kind of feel guilty on my rents like because theyre not happy with it. but then at the same time i think that it will be good for me to do any give me something to be proud of within myself and also my parents!
      sounds soft i know but just wondering if there are any serving soldiers on here and how the parents/mrs finds it
      cheers

2. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

army/military

Just left the forces mate and tbh it sounds like your heart is only half in it,you don't come across particularly interested in the forces.To get the most out of being in the forces you kind of need to embrace the lifestyle from the word go and be sure it's what you WANT to do.

3. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

army/military

I recently left Royal Navy. Thoroughly enjoyed my time in. Had loads of great experiences. Got to the point I missed family too much though. Make no mistake it is hard on the people you leave behind when you deploy. I would suggest you thoroughly reseach all options, if I had my time again I would have went for Royal Marines. There are loads of options, don't rush into infantry, consider RM, Navy, RAF (esp. Regiment if you are infantry inclined) and look at all the varied roles in the army.

Duncan is right in his post - no point in doing it unless you want to fully commit and throw yourself into it.

4. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

army/military

Last edited by niall01; Today at 06:21 PM.

5. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

army/military

Just left RN last month, don't regret joining but don't regret leaving either, but 4-5 years wouldn't do you no harm, better off joining a technical branch though then when you leave at least you will have a trade to come out to.

6. casse

casse Well-Known Member

army/military

Did you take redundancy then mate?What did you do whilst in?

7. Raleoxilevz

Raleoxilevz Well-Known Member

army/military

Explain it all to them. Tell them you want to do something to be proud of etc etc. They will soon come around. They will be over the moon on your pass out day.

Any Of the forces will be an amazing experience.

8. laxgoaliesrhs

laxgoaliesrhs Well-Known Member

army/military

Yes mate voluntary redundancy, was a AET (Wafu!) for 7 years, now got a job working offshore wind farms, 7k pay rise (basic) with loads of overtime available, working days 4 0n/0ff...Cheers Easy!

You take redundancy as well?

9. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

army/military

Yes mate I took redundancy too,was an AET as well,on Harriers did 5 1/2 years.What were you on.Good stuff!I'm recovering from a snapped Achilles waiting to go to college this year then hopefully uni next year all going well.What company you with btw?

OP back on topic,just make sure you do your own research and try to speak to as many people as you can who have served rather than just listen to the blokes down at the AFCO,they are well known to try to rope you into branches needing numbers rather than getting you a job you are suited to/want!

10. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

army/military

Am in the forces mate. Infantry is good but not worth **** if you get out. Go into something that you can get civvi quals as well