• Welcome to realmuscleforum.com
  • Alternative to Oats

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Canellesao, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Canellesao

Canellesao Well-Known Member

I'm meant to be eating 1-2 cups of oats for breakfast on the food plan I started on Monday (Wendler's 531 BBB Challenge - see post in the Strength sub-forum).

I don't like oats. They take ages to eat and are hot and gluggy. Not ideal for the Queensland summer. But yeah - main issue is they take too long to eat, especially with my 6 fried eggs. I would blend them up in a shake, but I'm avoiding milk on this program.

What is something I can have in place of oats that will give the same benefit? What about Weet-bix (with a small amount of milk, which is ok)? Or another ceral?

What's the big deal with oats anyways?

I'll eat the oats if I have to, but am looking for valid alternatives.

2. ismiju

ismiju Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

Unlike yourself i actually love oats but if your finding it hard to get them down do what you have already said, blend them. If you cant use milk, use Oat milk (6p 19c 5f per 250ml)if you dont like oat milk just use water.

Cheers.

3. fa2nzg

fa2nzg Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

I love oats!!! I usually heat them up, stir and let cool on the bench and have a shower. They are usually cool enough to eat by the time i'm out of the bathroom.

4. herunder88

herunder88 Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

I discovered last year that a lot of my stomach problems and digestive issues came from oats so I've had to dump them.

My morning breakie now consists of:

150-200g jasmin rice
      8 egg whites
      2 whole eggs

Shake all up in a shaker and pour into frying pan with some macadamia nut oil. A bit of salt and pepper and it goes down a treat.

Yes, I eat rice for breakfast :)

5. defelqy

defelqy Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

Great story.

6. remstation

remstation Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

Oats aren't any kind of magic food, just replace them with any complex carb source you like.

Like a big rice omelette?

7. alomjabpd

alomjabpd Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

Saying I don't like oats is maybe a little harsh. I like them well enough, they are just too slow to eat and go down like concrete.

I assume they are just a decent carb source? Do they have any other "special" benefits? I figure the Yanks rave on about them because they live in colder climates (than Qld) and so enjoy the warm gooey goodness.

Epic - that idea sounds pretty good actually. Probably looks like something you'd find on the ground outside a pub on a Friday night, right? Not that that matters.

8. jailynn24hb

jailynn24hb Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

Maybe you just make them too thick. Or need to add flavour, like mashing a banana through them, or my favourite, mixing in some cocoa & a handful of choc chips.

I can smash down a pyrex jug full of that stuff like you wouldn't believe.

9. crormaSoila18

crormaSoila18 Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats

Exactly!

It doesn't look too bad mate, or maybe I don't think so cause I've been eating it for some time now lol... I use to do the same with sweet potato in place of the rice, that was damn tasty!!! Although I am on a massive buget now and rice is by far one of the cheapest and easiest carb sources to go with for me. By the way I never use brown rice!

10. Korporalegq

Korporalegq Well-Known Member

Alternative to Oats